Ravenholdt RP Sanctum Azeroth Press The Twisting Nether Gazette Wowpedia
Forum rules
This forum is used to post stories that are not related to World of Warcraft. Advertising your work is authorized, within reason.
Sergeant Stonzgrinda
Sergeant Stonzgrinda
Sergeant Stonzgrinda

Uruk

Postby Sergeant Stonzgrinda » July 16th, 2015, 4:57 pm

An interesting summary overview of Tolkien's perspective on Orcs. More complicated than one would think.

http://www.ansereg.com/TheUnnaturalHist ... nsOrcs.pdf

Old WoW took the redemption long shot and ran with it. What they are in today's game is more difficult to say, despite the deluge of them.

LEGION
LEGION
LEGION

Re: Uruk

Postby LEGION » July 16th, 2015, 9:08 pm

Yes, they are certainly more complicated, but still somewhat two-dimensional, as there really would be no avenue to to make them sympathetic that wouldn't conflict with their origin and development in Tolkien's world.

Though sometimes it's kinda nice to have a little clear black and white in the world. :}

Sergeant Stonzgrinda
Sergeant Stonzgrinda
Sergeant Stonzgrinda

Postby Sergeant Stonzgrinda » July 18th, 2015, 4:04 pm

Tolkien certainly thought as you do, given that he found the effort oppressive and not worth the effort.

I find the redemptive arcs intriguing, if they are done in a cheesy, facile way (like WoW does them).

IMO we are far closer to fantasy orcs than fantasy humans.

Kiraleen
Kiraleen
Kiraleen

Postby Kiraleen » July 19th, 2015, 3:58 pm

Sergeant Stonzgrinda wrote:
IMO we are far closer to fantasy orcs than fantasy humans.

Don't get me started on the WoW writers' blatant laziness and lack of fucks to give about Alliance, as seen from Cata on.

Stephanie Meyer could write a better expac.

Sergeant Stonzgrinda
Sergeant Stonzgrinda
Sergeant Stonzgrinda

Postby Sergeant Stonzgrinda » July 19th, 2015, 6:00 pm

From my link I am obviously not looking at recent and present WoW for any inspiration at all.

The new stuff is like a shaggy dog story told by a drunk in a particular ill lit bar along Decatur street at about 03:40 in the morning. Faint whiffs of ammonia and stale beer gratis.

Cerestal
Cerestal
Cerestal

Postby Cerestal » July 19th, 2015, 7:21 pm

The new stuff reminds me of the 15th season of a tv show that should not have existed past 5. If a never-ending good story exists out there, I haven't read/seen it.

Login  •  Register