Ravenholdt RP Sanctum Azeroth Press The Twisting Nether Gazette Wowpedia
Forum rules
This forum is used to post Sanctum contests and challenges, as well as entries to those events. Please keep all submissions to a single thread per person per event.
redeyedtreefr0g
redeyedtreefr0g
redeyedtreefr0g

Re: Writing Challenge Oct 2010

Postby redeyedtreefr0g » April 1st, 2014, 3:36 am

20 The Noose - A Perfect Circle

The little girl was like a wraith, walking the grounds of Deathknell. Even among the other Forsaken and the wandering scourge undead seen everywhere, she was an unusual sight.

She wore the tattered and dirty remnants of a nightgown, once white, with a contrasting ribbon of black decorating an empire waistline. That in itself wasn’t an uncommon sight. Often the newly risen Forsaken were brought here wearing whatever they had died in, sometimes had been buried in. Dirty and filthy was commonplace. Though she herself was smudged with dirt and in such ragged clothing, her hair was a thing of beauty. She could often be seen with a comb sitting and rhythmically untangling it. She would sit for hours if she went undisturbed, sitting in the sun on a log or a rock, just combing. Her locks were longer than most, being down past her waist. when she ran so fleetly away from the Forsaken who tried to approach her, like a frightened deer, that hair would flow behind her like liquid silver. Sometimes the sun shone in just a way that it made her glow, as if she might be wearing a halo.

It wasn’t the haunted look on her face either. Everyone was shocked by the realizations they had to deal with. Death. Undeath. Loss. Whatever it was, it was usually stamped on the new faces, before they learned to cope. The other Forsaken were all the more rough with the newly risen, calling them shovelheads, pushing them without remorse toward that breaking point, the point where lost bewilderment became focused emotion and driving intent. It didn’t matter what it was- fury, anger, revenge, a drive to prove that an individual still mattered. The goal was to break the self-pity and confusion. Usually it worked wonderfully. Otherwise, well. The apothecaries always needed new parts for their abominable creations.

Perhaps it was the way she moved which made her noticeably different. She glided like a true ghost, ethereal and appearing all the more insubstantial for it. She was thin enough to seem barely there, and her silky movements only enhanced the illusion. Cats moved that way, only they were obviously predatory. A butterfly might be so delicate. Maybe that was the difference. Not many undead managed to retain such fluid control of once atrophied and rigored muscles.

Perhaps it was the strangeness of seeing a child. Admittedly children had been victims of the plague as well, but they were not common. Most children were destroyed, as a mercy to them. Being undead was hard enough as an adult, and the adults needed no reminders of their various failures regarding their offspring, or the things that had happened to them.

And so the residents of Deathknell all took notice of the tiny little girl child, frail and beautiful and ghostlike. For whatever reason, she captured the eye and aroused curiosity. She stayed there, always nearby, but never close. She’d follow some on various errands to eradicate the wandering undead, who never took notice of her. Once she went down to the entrance of a spider cave, trailing one young woman who’d been sent to clear out the spiders that kept managing to proliferate there. When the woman had come out hours later, the girl silently followed her back to the edge of Deathknell.

Eventually, she disappeared. It was assumed that she had followed someone out of the secluded town and down the road to Brill.

So glad to see you well
Overcome and completely silent now
With heavens help you cast your demons out

And not to pull your halo down
Around your neck and tug you off your cloud
But I'm more then just a little curious
How you're planning to go about making your amends
To the dead
To the dead

Recall the deeds as if they're all
Someone else's atrocious stories
Now you stand reborn before us all
So glad to see you well

And not to pull your halo down
Around your neck and tug you to the ground
To the dead
To the dead

With your halo slipping down
Your halo slipping
Your halo slipping down
Your halo slipping down

How you're planning to go about making your
More then just a little curious
How you're planning to go about making your
More then just a little curious

Your halo slipping down
Your halo slipping down
To choke you now
FroggyCows#1399
Tauren: Lomani, Kerala, Anura, Coqui, Chanchu, Pipapipa, Heget
Undead: Aziris

redeyedtreefr0g
redeyedtreefr0g
redeyedtreefr0g

Postby redeyedtreefr0g » April 1st, 2014, 3:43 am

21 Bound - Disturbed

Aziris walked quickly through the stone tunnels of Undercity, fuming. Of course the queen of these forsaken would have to be evil. Aziris was angry at herself for thinking that because they were all dead now, things might be different. But they were hateful and cruel, and Aziris had no intention of letting herself stick around and have the secret of her illness discovered.

She had seen Keever down there doing horrible things to an innocent rabbit. She’d heard the moans of captive people, still alive, being experimented on. Sylvanus wanted to kill them, Aziris guessed. She hadn’t wanted to meet the queen after what she’d seen, and she fled now through the dark labyrinth, trying to remember how to get out.

“Ah Aziris, I believe?” the apothecary had said, when he saw her staring in awe at the trade district sprawled below her. A huge bank was on an island in the center, connected by arching walkways without rails, and it was the only way down to the floor of the city.

Aziris had jumped. They had called her that ever since she’d awakened from the Out that wasn’t an Out. Apparently it was her nickname, though she didn’t really know how that came to be. She knew her name was Faith, but when she tried to say it, it came out Aziris. Everything came out differently now that she wasn’t alive anymore. She wasn’t sure if her ears were different, her mouth, or maybe just the way they worked. She’d seen the live people in red out in Tirisfal, and though they yelled at her as they chased after her, she couldn’t understand what they said anymore.

“Yes?” she’d asked. She didn’t recognize the man, but he obviously had seen her before. He was looking her up and down, as if to say yes, this is much better.

He’d offered to take her on a tour of the city, to which she’d agreed, thinking that might be fun. She’d had no idea at the time that most Forsaken were not like this man, who was kind and cheerful, somewhat stern. They hated the undeath, the way they died, their bodies, everything. Aziris learned that they were trying to make a plague just like the one they often cursed, but to destroy all life, not just the bad guys who caused the problem. The whole thing was very confusing to Aziris, who was grateful to be… well, not alive. The nameless apothecary (she’d forgotten to ask) had led her all around, and then to the apothecarium too. That’s where she’d had the horrible feeling that this entire place was bad, and she shouldn’t be there. She’d mumbled something to the man, turned, and ran, risking a trip and fall. He didn’t follow, but just stared after her with this odd expression on his face, as if he expected her to come back and see him again.

Aziris slowed as she navigated back up the railless walkways, and then ran to the elevators. She avoided looking at the horrible creatures that stood guard there, half expecting at any moment one would turn and try to grab her. What if he swung that huge axe hook chain thing? She’d be broken in half and stuck there…

Aziris hurried onto the elevator when it came, and as soon as the doors slammed down she felt a little bit better. She didn’t feel completely herself again until she was out of the courtyard and halfway down the road to the little town to the north. Aziris decided she would avoid those apothecaries, maybe even all Forsaken. She wasn’t willing to be near them. What if they found out she was a liability and decided to use her as a test subject? What if they decided she wasn’t and made her into one of them?

Aziris would have to be very careful.

Ready
Darkness cover me!

I'm not ready to die, girl
Because of what you don't tell me
I'm not willing to walk inside of where you're taking me
I'm not willing to compromise the man I want to be

[chorus]
Think you're a little bit closer
To changing me?
You're never winning me over
You're wasting time
Think you're a little bit closer
To changing me?
You're never winning me over
You're wasting time

Leave me be

I'm never going to toe the line of your conformity
I'm not ready to leave the realm of anonymity

[chorus]

Get away from me

Ready!

[chorus]
You're wasting time, yeah
FroggyCows#1399

redeyedtreefr0g
redeyedtreefr0g
redeyedtreefr0g

Postby redeyedtreefr0g » April 1st, 2014, 3:53 am

22 The Outsider - A Perfect Circle

Aziris was delighted to have come across the pretty caverns soon after a group of adventurers had rescued a druid that was inside. It was beautiful here, with clear blue pools and all kinds of pretty plants. She walked through, just enjoying the views, getting lost inside and not minding at all. She was somewhat disappointed when she came to a gap in the path, where it continued on after running jump to clear the hole. Aziris wasn’t prepared to risk it, and so she turned around to go back out, happy to have seen the parts she had passed, and looking forward to the trip out.

She was almost to the end again, she thought, when she caught sight of a huge turtle ambling down a shallow river that made its way through the tunnels. Amazed, she watched as it slowly crawled past her without even noticing her looking at it. It was like the ones outside, only a lot bigger, as tall as she was. She laughed as she thought about whether he might mind a rider, and pictured herself on top swaying as it walked, going all of a slow walking pace.

There were lots of little frogs hopping around too, bright red ones with blue legs swimming, crouching, and chirping all over this section. They were very skittish, often running away when she got close. some of them ran toward her in what looked like mock charges before they would veer away and disappear in a pool or under a rock. Their antics amused her greatly.

One of them hopped away from her and she decided to follow it and see where it went. It was lots bigger than the rest, and she thought it was really cute. It hopped all the way to a clump of bushes in front of a pond, but then it stopped and turned around and stared at her.

She smiled at it, but it didn’t seem to notice. She crouched down so maybe she wouldn’t be so tall and scare it away. It did look really frightened. She thought it was the prettiest frog she’d ever seen. Its back was a brilliant color, almost a shiny red, and it had long flexible blue legs tucked up underneath. Its toes had little bits of skin connecting them, and she supposed it would make him a better swimmer.

“Here little froggy, its ok.” she cooed at it. “I won’t hurt you. You’re so pretty though, did you know that?” It didn’t look any less frightened, and she wondered if maybe food would work. She dug a little mushroom out of her pocket, something else pretty that she had wanted to keep for a while.

“Do you like mushrooms little froggy? I could give you a piece. I didn’t meant o scare you, I must be like a giant to you.” She broke off a little piece of the mushroom cap and held it out to the frog.

Suddenly the frog charged at her like the others had, she started to laugh, thinking maybe it must be a game they had, or maybe it really liked mushrooms a lot and didn’t want to wait for her to hold it out. But then it didn’t take the mushroom and it didn’t veer away like a game at all. Instead, it hopped up once and flicked out a huge long sticky tongue. It stuck to her leg and it zipped up to her faster than she could see. Before she knew what happened, it rubbed its back against her ankle and then started hopping away again.

Aziris wasn’t sure what she supposed to think about that. Was it a game? Did it attack her? Or was it just tasting her to see if maybe she tasted like a mean person, and it decided she wasn’t and was going about its froggy day now?

She turned around to watch it hop away, and then gasped. Something was wrong with it. Did she hurt it by accident? She hadn’t touched it. It didn’t eat the mushroom, so it couldn’t be that the mushroom was bad. But the poor froggy was definitely in trouble, it was trying to hop and failing. Its legs didn’t look like they worked right, and it was breathing in and out really fast. Aziris cried out when it flipped upside down into a pool and sank without swimming up. She jumped up and ran to it, and reached in the shallow water and lifted it up above the water, cupping it in her hands.

“Froggy? Froggy I’m sorry, please don’t be hurt. Please?” Panicked, Aziris looked around, hoping to see if maybe an adventurer might be nearby still? But no, she was a lone. She didn’t think she could make it out with the frog and find help for it, she still wasn’t quite certain which way was out. While she had plenty of time to wander and figure it out, the poor frog did not.

As she held it, the frog kicked feebly a couple of time, and then it just lay still, panting. There was a thick coating on its skin, making it slimy. Had that been there before?

Aziris sat down in the water with the frog, and held him in it while she used her other hand to try to scrape off the slime. She was sure it hadn’t been there before, it wasn’t nearly so pretty now. “Froggy, please don’t die. I like you, please don’t die, I’m sorry.”

After a moment, she realized the frog wasn’t moving at all anymore. She froze, holding it carefully, looking. Tears filled her eyes as she saw that it was breathing only barely. Aziris howled in sorrow. How did she do this? She’d never killed anything in her whole life, not even bugs. She hugged the frog close, as if by keeping it near her she could somehow keep it warm and alive. She rocked it, mumbling over and over that she was so sorry. So sorry. Please don’t die. Please, she begged.

Aziris was wishing so hard for the frog to live and get better that at first, she didn’t notice the light. It stopped as she blinked the tears from her eyes to see better, but there was a warmness she felt from the frog. All of a sudden, she sagged, so tired it was hard not to just lie down right there and sleep. She was confused, not knowing what was happening. Was this how her illness worked now that she wasn’t really alive?

She was completely surprised then when the frog wiggled and slipped out of her hands, leaving her with a yucky handful of slime.

The frog looked just as surprised as she was, and it hopped away to the clump of leaves it had stopped at before, and disappeared out of sight.

Aziris was too tired to be happy that it had lived right at that moment. She leaned her forehead over her knees wearily, dangling her arms and slimed hands into the water. Gradually, she started feeling better she brought her hands into her field of vision under her knees and rubbed at them to get them clean. Bits of clear goo sank and floated away and she scraped at her fingers.

A soft chirp made her look up. It was the frog, staring at her from the edge of the pool. Behind it were three tiny frogs and a lighter version of it, also staring.

“Who are they?” she asked. At the sound of her voice, the other frogs scattered, each and every one going back to that clump of leaves, after dodging about to the sides and over each other in a confusing manner. The big frog stayed where it was, and chirped again.

“I thought frogs made a ribbit croak noise? Look, you got goo all over me.” She stood slowly, testing her balance, and then straightened. She wiped her hands off on her now soaked skirt. Stepping out of the pool, she climbed up the small rocky bank to the path proper and started slowly back toward where she though the caverns opened up.

A chirp behind her made her turn back to the frog. It had followed her, and was crouched now just at the top of the bank, looking at her.

“Go home. I’m glad you’re ok, but I don’t know what happened and I’m sleepy. Go be with your family.”

She turned and concentrated on her footing then, trying hard not to stumble and fall. She made it out of the caverns and trudged the long way across the field to the little orc town where two big roads met. The innkeeper smiled at her, showing short stubby tusks, and left her be to find a cot. Aziris laid down wearily, her eyes closed before her head even touched the flat pillow.

A chirp made her open her eyes again.

The frog was sitting there looking up at her, its head tilted to one side. Its big black eyes blinked slowly. Aziris had no idea why it liked her now, But she could really use a friend. “Ok, you can stay. But I’m tired now and I’m going sleep.”

The frog tilted its head the other way as if listening, then hopped up onto the cot, crawled up the blanket to her shoulder where it promptly turned around and headed back down, this time under the blanket. It turned around twice and settled in what it thought was a comfortable spot in front of her belly. It was warm and dry now. She dropped a hand to rest on its back, and fell asleep listening to its throat rumbling as it breathed, like a purr.

Help me if you can
It's just that this is
Not the way I'm wired
So could you please,
Help me understand why
You've given in to all these
Reckless dark desires
Your

Lying to yourself again

[chorus]
Suicidal imbecile
Think about it, put it on a fault line
What'll it take to get it through to you precious
I'm over this, why do you
Wanna throw it away like this

Such a mess, well I don't wanna watch you

Disconnect and self destruct one
Bullet at a time
What's your rush now, everyone will have his day to die

Medicated, drama queen,
picture perfect, numb belligerence
Narcissistic, drama queen,
craving fame and all it's decadence

Lying through your teeth again
[chorus
Such a mess, well I don't wanna watch you

Disconnect and self destruct one
Bullet at a time
What's your rush now, everyone will have his day to die

They were right about you
They were right about you

Lying to my face again
[chorus]
Such a mess, over this, over this

Disconnect and self destruct,
One bullet at a time
What's your hurry, everyone will have his day to die

If you choose to pull the trigger,
should your drama prove sincere,
Do it somewhere far away from here
FroggyCows#1399

redeyedtreefr0g
redeyedtreefr0g
redeyedtreefr0g

Postby redeyedtreefr0g » April 1st, 2014, 3:57 am

23 Bitter - Union Underground

Kerchak had his chance.

He had been chosen as one of the lich king's champions, and now he was free. One battle at a small chapel, so close to where it had all started, and he had thrown off the shackles of domination with so many others. He doubted he could have done it alone, but he was glad he had not.

At first he just wanted to lay down and die in peace. Rest. Even that comfort had been denied him. Reason told him that would not keep him out of the Lich King’s grasp later on, though. He’d have to keep on until that monster was gone from the world. His next thought was for his children. Where were they? Were they alive? Undead? Truly dead? Kerchak had kept up a search as best he could, trying to recognize any of the creatures around him wherever he went to see if one might be his son. He had no hope that Faith would have survived to be a part of the Scourge if they found her. She was in no condition to be of use, though it pained him to know it. He hoped they were alright.

Kerchak vowed to at least attempt to find them, and to right the wrongs he had at least in part helped to create. The knowledge of his deeds leading up to the plague were not known, and he was not about to go sharing them. He had been an idiot. A fool. He would be a better man, if he could.

Why did it always seem like he had to make this promise to himself?

Twist me with your motivation
You make me sick
Won't you feel my frustration?
It's ten feet thick

All I see is apathy
In this world I won't be

I will be a better man
I won't be a bitter man

Twist me with your complication
This time it stuck
Curse me with your lips
You wretched fuck

Out of me am I free
In this world I won't be
FroggyCows#1399

redeyedtreefr0g
redeyedtreefr0g
redeyedtreefr0g

Postby redeyedtreefr0g » April 1st, 2014, 4:00 am

24 Criminal - Disturbed

Aziris was completely serious when she had spoken to Vorthius.

She had thought long and hard about some of the things she had learned recently, including the origins of the undead plague. She considered it a blessing, usually, but she had found out that it wasn’t even natural. It had been created, and meant to kill all of humanity. She couldn’t even imagine what kind of person would want to do that.

She wanted to learn more about things, but she was afraid that maybe her ignorance was the difference between herself, wanting to be a good girl, and others, who were mean and hurt others on purpose. She didn’t want to become like them.

At the same time, she often had thoughts that perhaps the world wouldn’t care if she were not a part of it. She had often wished herself dead in the worst parts of a headache, and if it turned out that undeath wasn’t the cure she needed, if she was still going to be a burden to everyone around her, she didn’t want to be undead, but really dead.

The problem was, she’d just heard over the stones about a Forsaken who’d had his head pretty much chopped off, whatever that decap word was, and was still alive. He didn’t seem to remember very much yet, but it bothered her a lot. How would a Forsaken actually go about ceasing to be undead? She’d never considered it before, but it seemed that dead people, to some extent, didn’t stay dead. The prospect frightened her a lot. What if she couldn’t die?

But Vorthius had answered all her questions well enough. She wasn’t sure she liked him, after all, he seemed to be a bad person, talking about torching boats with Scarlets on them, but maybe she couldn’t do what she needed to do with a good person. After all, she was talking about ending her life, however roundabout. Would a good person help someone do that, even if there was a good reason to do so?

She went to sleep that night, somewhat comforted by the fact that if she needed one, there was an out for her. An escape from this, if she decided things were too much for her. She’d never had that option before, having fought so hard just to stay alive and bear the pain for her father. Now that he was gone, what was she to do? She found it much easier to thing about the next time she might get hurt, knowing that there would be no headaches, burning her in unthinkable agony. Would broken bones even bother her, as much as she was used to that other kind of pain? She hoped not. That would be nice.

(Malevolent criminal eye Motivation paints my mind
Cross the invisible line And you'll be paid in kind)
x2

Get it!

Criminal The suffering
It makes me think like a
Criminal The suffering
When we're alone
x2

Typical enough for me
That I burn inside in agony
What power will enable me
To bury my vision

A hunger coming over me
As I learn to hide the agony
To make a final remedy
To close the door once and for all

[Chorus]
In a world that I don't want to know
With a message that I never want to send
To be free from all of this
I want you to quicken my end
Don't tell me I can not go
When the wound in me refuses to mend
Deliver me from all of this
I want you to quicken my end

(It seems the whole experience is)
Terrible and crippling
The pain is much more then
Physical beyond belief
When we're alone

Typical enough for me
That I burn inside in agony
What power will enable me
To make this decision

Despair is falling over me
No way to hide the agony
Embracing my calamity
To save myself once and for all

[Chorus]

Now you want to know
You want a name
You want to call me motherfucker
Now you want to know
You want a name
You want to say it doesn't matter
x2
Now

Now that you wanna know
Now you wanna name
Now you wanna place
Now you wanna time
Now you want it all
x2
Now

[Chorus]

Don't say that it isn't so
I'm on a path that you'll never comprehend
Set me free from all of this
I need you to quicken my end
FroggyCows#1399

redeyedtreefr0g
redeyedtreefr0g
redeyedtreefr0g

Postby redeyedtreefr0g » April 1st, 2014, 4:01 am

25 Time Goes By- Triumph

Aziris tried to be patient, but she wasn’t being very good at it. Her arm hurt, her shoulder hurt, and her wrist and leg. It wasn’t anything monumental, but neither was it quite ignorable.

She wasn’t quite used to the way time seemed to crawl by. Never before had it seemed like every day lasted forever, even though she slept through much of it. The strangeness both confused and frightened her. Had it always taken this long to get better after she hurt herself?

She looked forward to more visits from anyone at all. She watched the people who came in to learn a new bandaging technique, or to buy one of those new tubey bag stick things. Apparently they worked to give medicine nearly instantly, and you could even put liquid foods in them and feed unconscious people. Aziris had one attached to her hand a little bit under the splint on her wrist. But she would watch the people who came in, because then things seemed to work normally. Just watching the nurses move around in their endless routines of checking patients, cutting and rolling bandages, assembling bag stick things… it was always the same, and she’d have that weird sensation of time dragging by so slowly.

It was becoming unbearable. At least when she’d had the headaches, they blocked out everything else. She’d always thought while they were going on that they lasted forever, but she knew they’d end eventually. And they blocked out everything else. She didn’t know, maybe she just had to adjust. But it was hard.

Tomorrow seemed like it was a million miles away. And she had so many tomorrows before she’d be well again.

Can't you feel the thunder, rollin' in a young man's heart
Can't you see the frustration it's tearin' him apart
He's got a hunger for power, he wants to have it all
Sometimes he feels like he's bangin' his head up against the wall
Out in the real world living a lie
Can't seem to make the change, but he can't say why
As Time Goes By

Nobody really knows what to say,
tomorrow is another day
That seems a million miles away, so far away

[Chorus]
Time Goes By, bridges burn and big wheels turn and
Time can fly, will it ever bring you back again?
You know that I can't live without your love
Time Goes By, you know I'll never make it alone
Make it alone

Can't you see the fire burnin' in a young girl's eyes
Does she think that she moves ahead if she cuts me down to size
Everybody's got two cents to try to buy some time
But they don't even know their own hearts
What can they know of mine?
Call out for reasons echoes the cry
She waits, anticipates; no reply as Time Goes By

Oh baby I don't know what to say
Tomorrow is another day
You seem a million miles away, so far away

[Chorus]

We all bear witness as history unfolds
Let's hope tomorrow can deliver on the promise that she holds
Don't look back in anger, don't look ahead in fear
You just keep takin' her as she comes until she comes in clear
The love you send out returns to you in time
The wheel gets turned around by those who try
For all their lives

[Chorus]
FroggyCows#1399

redeyedtreefr0g
redeyedtreefr0g
redeyedtreefr0g

Postby redeyedtreefr0g » April 1st, 2014, 4:03 am

27 Broken- Lifehouse

Olissara, often called The Kind, worried for the small Forsaken girl that had been brought in. The arrangements for her care had been made far in advance, but she had hoped never to see the child. It was unnatural, someone so young having been through what she had.

And now here she was. Olissara had forbidden the other nurses to touch the girl. They were to administer medication only through the intravenous equipment, and any other tasks were her alone to tend to.

She remembered the very first day she’d met Aziris. A very nice little girl, kind and extremely naive about most of the world. Still, she was very smart, and she had realized that someday she might end up in just this situation. She was extremely nervous, not wishing to share what she saw as an embarrassing liability. Olissara had had to prod gently to get the details, the fragility of the bones, the possible bleeding issues. She knew most of the details of the girls living sickness, and even though it seemed undeath had eliminated some of it, she couldn’t help wondering at the girl’s strength of will, even as she pitied her. She had been through a lot. Her outlook tough, was fresh, untainted. She didn’t hold any grudges, and she was extremely optimistic. Olissara had worried about what might happen if her foresight should prove correct, and she would have to care for the child.

Now that Aziris was here, Olissara tried to keep her busy, but it was proving nearly impossible. There was always another patient to see, some magister to pacify, something.

When the child was carried here, Olissara had almost panicked, wondering how much damage had been done just by that act alone. She hadn’t even recognized Nelcein, a very good friend and former student. Of course Nelcein would have done right by the girl, even if she didn’t know the particulars of her condition. Olissara had stepped back and let Nelcein care for Aziris, watching closely. She found no fault with the work, and even though Aziris had warned her, she was amazed at the sheer damage that had been done to the girl. She was like a broken doll, lying there.

Olissara watched Aziris as she bravely dealt with her injury. The pain didn’t seem to bother her so much as having made the error that allowed her to be injured in the first place. She saw it as her fault, of course. The draenei who had started the fight over the tonks wasn’t to blame, in the child’s eyes, at least not for how much she was hurt. He hadn’t known she would break. Hitting people, though, that was mean, so she had said. Olissara was again amazed at the little girl.

As the days passed, her fears were slowly manifesting themselves. Aziris was restless, and lonely. She did receive a couple of visitors, but they were not enough. The nurses over-medicated her, and Olissara judged that the spiteful act, while it would go unpunished for now, might do the girl some good. It was true that she was plagued with nightmares, but also the sleep ate the time away that she was awake and suffering.

She had been broken-hearten to have to order the girl’s frog be taken from her, and she regretted it since it happened. Aziris was right, the frog had done nothing wrong, but it was aggravating the protector’s companion viper, and that could not be tolerated. The stupid animal would kill itself if something wasn’t done. The frog was the easiest solution, as removing the viper would pain the protector more. Aziris had since quieted, and became brooding. She slept more than ever, and usually did not look happy after trying to talk on the stones to others. The infrequent visitors now seemed to be a large problem. Olissara did not know what to do.

She left the broken child sleeping that morning on the way to see a very ill magister in his home, certain that she was not doing the right thing, but not knowing what she could do that would make things right. She sighed, wishing she knew the answers to the mysteries that plagued her.

The broken clock is a comfort
It helps me sleep tonight
Maybe it can stop tomorrow
From stealing all my time
And I am here still waiting
Though I still have my doubts
I am damaged at best
Like you've already figured out

[chorus]
I'm falling apart
I'm barely breathing
With a broken heart
That's still beating
In the pain
There is healing
In your name
I find meaning
So I'm holding on
I'm barely holding on to you

The broken locks were a warning
You got inside my head
I tried my best to be guarded
I'm an open book instead
And I still see your reflection
Inside of my eyes
That are looking for purpose
They're still looking for life

[chorus]

I'm hanging on another day
Just to see what, you will throw my way
And I'm hanging on, to the words you say
You said that I will, will be okay
The broken light on the freeway
Left me here alone
I may have lost my way now
But I haven't forgotten my way home

[chorus]
FroggyCows#1399

redeyedtreefr0g
redeyedtreefr0g
redeyedtreefr0g

Postby redeyedtreefr0g » April 1st, 2014, 4:05 am

27 Headstrong - Trapt

Aziris laid in bed long after Onasa had left, thinking about what had been said. Aziris felt somewhat better, but she was still bothered. Onasa made it all sound so simple. As if any problem could be solved by beating up the source. As if punishing the draenei would somehow make her heal faster, or make it all better.

No. That might work for someone strong like Onasa, but not for her. Physical confrontation was out of the question. She had learned very quickly in life to not get too close to people, to avoid giving them the chance to hurt her. She had momentarily forgotten though, in the excitement of the Faire, and it had cost her dearly. One moment of pleasure was not worth this much pain.

The other thing miss Onasa had mentioned also made her think a little bit. She had said that some people could make others afraid. So much so, that they would run away in terror, giving Aziris a chance to escape danger. Or some people could make a protective bubble around themselves to avoid getting hurt. She had even seen, she thought, one person take over another person and make them run off a cliff. Aziris didn’t want to do that to anyone. The bubble idea was intriguing, though. She thought that maybe she had done that once, but she wasn’t sure.

Gosh, her memory seemed full of holes, even though she didn’t go Out anymore. It seemed very odd to her, and was more than a little bit frustrating.

But Aziris had thought for a long time that she had some special ability. She had asked around, and it was common knowledge that biletoads were like bees, and if they were provoked into attacking something, they died with it, from the poisons. But Jubjub was alive. And though Aziris had a large blank spot in her memory of the time following her death, she though it was very unlikely that she would have managed to stay unharmed the whole time…

Odd things happened and she had no explanation. She couldn’t explain the gaps in her memory, just as she couldn’t explain the subject of her nightmares, or how Jubjub had survived and was now her best friend. All a mystery, and meanwhile she was trying to make it on her own and failing.

The lack of progress was frustrating Aziris to no end. Her father had always said that she was a good girl, and headstrong. That she managed to get by on pure will alone, calling her his headstrong little angel. There was nothing to do here. She had no real pain to fight back, no way to act on her ambitions to try to learn how to heal herself or anything. At every turn she was being met with obstacles, and she had no idea how to get past them. It wasn’t just simply a matter of lasting long enough for Daddy to find a cure. That wouldn’t work anymore.

Her thoughts turned to the Oracles in Sholazar Basin. They had troubles too. The puppy men wouldn’t be nice and share the land with them, and were always trying to hurt the Oracles and drive them away. Aziris had helped them a number of times, and the solution to their troubles was fairly simple, if not easily accomplished. Make the puppy men leave. For now, they were just defending their homes and hoping the puppy men would give up eventually and be nice. Aziris missed them, she was actually useful there. She could take their crystals and recharge them much faster with her windrider, and she could search the river for shiny things to put on the shrines to their gods.

Thinking of them made her smile to herself, for they were truly a nice people, without any meanness in them at all.

Aziris’ thought drifted to the sad person Desonar had mentioned earlier. She had been feeling bad, and his visit didn’t do very much to cheer her. He had said he had a friend who was sad like her. The idea that someone else was sad too was both disheartening and at the same time it helped lessen her feeling of loneliness. What would he have to be sad about? Surely there was nothing a normal person should be that sad for? She thought maybe she’d like to help him to not feel that sad, but sometimes she thought that she shouldn’t try to help anyone else until she could help herself first.

Alternately she was filled with anger at herself for being despondent, telling herself she really was better off now than when she was alive. But that wouldn’t last very long and she’d be sad again. She decided that maybe she should rest, that she’d feel better afterwards.

She sighed as loudly as she could, which wasn’t much, with her ribs, and wiggled her head around on the pillow as if finding a more comfortable spot. She closed her eyes, knowing that one of the nurses would come around soon after the display to give her that medicine they used to make her sleep deeper, where dreams would not be able to disturb her. They said she had nightmares that made her move too much, and might cause her to hurt herself. Aziris didn’t want to be here, so mindless sleeping worked for her.

She had to do something to get out of this situation

Circling your circling your circling your head
contemplating everything you ever said
Now I see the truth I got a doubt
A different motive in your eyes and now I'm out
See you later
I see your fantasies
You wanna make it a reality baby paved in gold
See inside, inside of our heads yeah
Well now that's over

I see your motives inside
Decisions to hide

[chorus]
Back off I'll take you on
Headstrong to take on anyone
I know that you are wrong
Headstrong we're Headstrong
Back off I'll take you on
Headstrong to take on anyone
I know that you are wrong
This is not where you belong

I won't give everything away

Conclusions manifest
your first impressions got to be your very best
I see you're full of shit is not so right
That's how you play I guess you get through every night
Now that's over
I see your fantasies
You wanna make it a reality
Paved in gold
See inside, inside of our heads
Well now that's over

I see your motives inside
And your decisions to hide

[chorus]
Where you belong

I can't give everything away

I know I know all about
x4
Your motives inside
And your decision to hide

[chorus]

I can't give everything away
Where you belong
FroggyCows#1399

redeyedtreefr0g
redeyedtreefr0g
redeyedtreefr0g

Postby redeyedtreefr0g » April 1st, 2014, 4:07 am

28 Stories - Trapt

Aziris laid in the clinic bed staring at the ceiling. She’d been here before, she knew, but it was different this time. This time she wasn’t fully sick, and somehow, she was finding out, it might even be worse this way.

She knew that memories always dulled with time, especially feelings. Maybe that’s what was happening now. She remembered being hurt so much before, and it must have probably felt like this. This, she also knew, was nothing compared to the inner pain her headaches used to cause, unexplainable and unendurable. Endless. She would have shivered if doing so wouldn't have hurt. NO, she was definitely glad they didn’t still happen. At least this way she wasn’t always in bed, afraid to move, afraid to set it off. Never knowing when it might explode and… no, better this way.

But even though she didn’t want the headaches, she found herself wishing for the periods of senselessness afterward. She realized that being sick before had been horrible, yes, but it was also quick, to her mind. The pain in turn brought a sort of fast-forward to the healing, for she would largely miss much of what was happening now, the slow and gradual mending of her mistake. The boredom. The loneliness.

How could it be that she was more lonely now, surrounded by two, sometimes three nurses and other wounded patients? Why was it that even though she delighted in visits from Desonar, and now Onasa had come, did she feel afterward that when they left the good feeling, the sensible thoughts she’d had, went with them? She couldn’t help but feel that her want of attention was selfishness, and that the people who were always busy on the stones, the silences when she tried to strike up conversations, meant that they all wanted her to hush and go away.

She was an unwanted obligation, again. The same old story as before. She sighed.

The events of her injury replayed themselves in her mind yet again. She wished she had managed to handle them differently. In the moment though, she had panicked. All the thoughts of being able to take care of herself had vanished in her panic, and she’d ended up in the care of others.

She watched the nurse walk through on her rounds, checking the bandages of the grown-ups next to her, even the stupid snake that had gotten Jubjub kicked out. They all had jobs to do, when they were well. They didn’t mind miss Olissara taking care of them, that was her job. And their job was to take care of the city, and they could do that. Aziris had no use. She had been so proud of her job helping miss Kit with her little cooking packages. How stupid. Miss Kit was out there now making them all by herself just fine. She hadn’t even come to visit.

Everyone was busy. Too busy for Aziris. How selfish to wish they weren’t. If she weren’t around nothing would change. In a clinic stuck in bed, or nowhere at all. The nurses would be glad not to have an extra patient, that would be the difference. They could care for someone that mattered.

The nurse came to Aziris and glanced over her, but nothing else before returning to the counter to organize one of the many boxes of bandages they were creating. People came in all the time to buy them. The nurses didn’t like Aziris, she was sure. Never before had they been told to largely stay away from a patient, and they resented her for it. Miss Olissara didn’t tell them why, and she wouldn’t, for patient matters were confidential. They were just like all the other healers Aziris had met. Businesslike, not really caring for the people they tended, but doing it just because it was their job.

She was supposed to have been able to go outside today. She had been looking forward to it all day yesterday. But Miss Olissara was gone, called away to some other matter of importance. Aziris was forgotten, and of course the other nurses weren’t allowed to do very much with her, nor would they be likely to if they could.

She had heard them talking late last night. Miss Olissara though that maybe she could walk, and that the extended immobility was bad for a child, even a Forsaken one. She had questioned the other nurses on the frequent dosing of a medicine, probably the sleepy one they were always putting into the nifty new tuby bags that dripped into her arm. The bags were a new invention, since Aziris had been alive, and a very effective way to medicate and get nutrients to unconscious patients. She knew the nurses made her sleep too much, even though she had given up trying to talk with them and be friendly. Of course they mentioned Aziris’ nightmares, and how the medicine kept her from flailing around and disturbing the splints. Aziris honestly didn’t mind, it kept her from having to be awake, lonely and bored and hurting.

But she had been upset to learn that Miss Olissara would be gone all day. Aziris wouldn’t be going outside at all. She hadn’t even had time to help Aziris sit up this morning.

Maybe it was time for a change.

With an idea beginning to form, Aziris made her decision. She wasn’t going to sit around and be in the way anymore. She reached down and felt the splint around her thighbone gingerly with the fingers of her right hand. Measured the amount of pain from there. She had a pretty good idea that now it was secured, it might bear her weight, just like Miss Olissara had guessed. If she got up right now, what would they do? What could they do?

Aziris ripped out the tube going into her arm, noting with satisfaction that the other part of her sickness seemed to no longer be a problem anymore either- she didn’t gush blood endlessly.

Aziris scooted her legs over to the side of the bed, and grimaced, using the momentum of letting them down over the side to help her sit upright, though slowly and with a lot of pain from her ribs. Now she had the nurses’ attention. The young one, Josi, went forward as if to stop Aziris, but the other one behind the counter held up a hand, stopping her. They exchanged looks, and both stayed where they were.

“I don’t want to be here anymore. I’m leaving,” Aziris said, not really expecting a response. As she had guessed, she didn’t get one.

They watched her passively as she stood up slowly, testing her leg. It wasn’t comfortable by any means, but it would hold her as long as the splint held tight. She bent and looked through her things on the floor. The fortune from the faire, the coils of bandages she had been practicing, sliced in several pieces where they must have had to cut them off, the small egg gift from the Oracles, her favorite dress. The dress had been cut off her also, but someone had tailored it, neatly stitching the seam back together. The Medic’s book was missing, the box of candy was missing. Aziris grabbed her dress only and tucked it into the top of the sling holding her left arm. She turned and began to limp slowly out the doorway.

The nurses stood wordlessly watching until the broken little Forsaken girl had disappeared around the corner of the clinic out of sight. They shrugged to each other, then went back to their regular duties, wondering what Olissara would say when she found out.

I found a line and then it grew
I found myself still thinking of you
And I felt so empty and now I'm fine
But it's still burning when will you be mine?

[chorus]
Too much of the same stories in our lives
I think it's time to change, don't you?
Too much of the same stories in our lives
I think it's time for us to walk away from here

Stories in our lives, we keep them all inside
x2

Look at me still in your mind
Our memories so intertwined
Well you broke through and found your way
And so did I no need to stay
The same old picture, tried and true
We've been through that, let's look fro something new

[chorus]

Do you remember lying on the beach so late at night
Do you remember running through the sprinklers that night
Do you remember all the songs that I have wrote for you,
all the songs that I have wrote for you
For you, for you
I remember the way you made me feel when I was with you
I remember the smile that always brought me back to you
That look in your eyes I never thought that this could be untrue
That look in your eyes I never thought that this could be untrue

[chorus]
FroggyCows#1399

redeyedtreefr0g
redeyedtreefr0g
redeyedtreefr0g

Postby redeyedtreefr0g » April 1st, 2014, 4:09 am

29 Crimes - A Perfect Circle

Aziris counted the days until she judged she might be better. They went so slowly, it seemed. Sometimes she’d wonder where the hours went, but always the days themselves lasted so long. Her grasp on time was weird. Sometimes she thought she should go get one of those inventions that told time, those little ticking things.

She knew that each bone was healing differently. She knew from experience that her leg would be the longest to heal, but it was supporting her weight for short times now, at least. How long had it been? She wished she had asked the nurses before she left how long she had been in the clinic. Had it been four weeks now? Longer?

Aziris tried to breathe in deeply to judge the level of pain, but the wires prevented her from doing so. Still, it hadn’t hurt to go that far, and she remembered having to take such short little breaths before. Four weeks should be good for ribs.

Aziris looked around at the room she was in, looking for the Oracle who normally stayed here. He was very skilled with crystals, and there were piles of them, all so bright and colorful. Green ones here near Aziris, where she had piled up the fallen leaves and such to make a bed. She stayed here with permission, though they had been kind and offered her tree homes several times. Truth be told she thought the little space higher in this tree wonderful, she and Onasa had been there once, when Onasa had taken her here. It had been a wonderful trip, and lots of fun for Aziris. They’d seen the huge turtle that transported the short little round walrus men around, and then made their way up to the basin, the first real outing Aziris had been on. Up to then she’d only gone from one fishing spot to another, content at the time to be doing something helpful and important for once.

Aziris thought of Kit and frowned, not so sure now that she’d had time to think on things that the woman cared for her at all. Aziris had heard her on the stone once, asking after her. But she didn’t think Kit herself cared at all about Aziris. Agiga did. Agiga was a wonderful and very nice tauren lady, but she was very busy. Aziris had been told that she fought in all those dangerous places where that horrible plague came from, monsters and things. She was so brave. But Aziris figured that it was just Agiga’s concern, however distant, that finally made Kit search for her. After all, Aziris’ money wasn’t lost with Aziris. And in her experience, she knew that almost everything seemed to center around money. Aziris wondered what would happen if she decided to make use of the goblins she had learned about, the bankers.

Aziris shook her head, trying to get this series of thoughts away. The Oracle wasn’t there, she should probably wait for him to come back. She could just step outside, she supposed, but that was too much attention. The Oracles were fairly simple people. Brilliant and insightful within their limits of interest, but that was a small scope indeed. Still, most of the time Aziris found them fun and easy to talk to. They had a passion for everything that tended to rub off, and it kept Aziris in a decent mood. She needed that right now, it seemed that she couldn’t keep up her normally happy attitude on her own lately. It scared her.

Reminded of why she had been looking for the Oracle in the first place, Aziris sighed and decided she didn’t want to wait. She had thought herself patient, but she was fast finding out that when one hadn’t had a choice before, it was easy to be patient. Not so easy now.

Aziris shrugged easily out of her loose vest and reached up to begin unwinding the bandage wrapped so tightly around her chest. Her stupid wrist proved to be a bit too immobile even for that, but she could at least grab the cloth and pass it around to her good side with her fingers. Slowly the feeling of support left her, and instead she felt oddly cold. The wires of the smart little cage Nelcein had made started to snag as she began to uncover them, and several times she had to stop and unhook the cloth. Finally it was all in little spirals on the floor, and Aziris could see the thing that had kept her together so well. After staring at it a minute, studying how it was put together and just how it was working to have kept her ribs in place, she breathed in again, attentive for any sign of pain that might mean she wasn’t ready to do this. Aziris was somewhat glad she still had her senses, even pain. If those undead who didn’t smell or taste or feel pain got hurt, how did they know it? How would they know when they were better?

Feeling nothing unusual, Aziris started to unhook and disassemble the neat little cage. She’d have to remember this trick in case she ever needed it again. Assuming she could. Aziris frowned, remembering how her stupid leg had finally broken more under her on the way to the clinic. If she hadn’t fallen and broken her wrist, she could have still taken care of herself. She’d have to be more careful. Maybe if she hadn’t gotten scared and tried to rush it… oh well. As Desonar said, she shouldn’t dwell on things that had already happened.

Finally, Aziris ran out of wires. She stared for a moment at her bare skin, poked with tiny little holes occasionally where the wires had been. Those wouldn’t even be noticeable after a few of those healy potion things. She breathed in slowly. Almost at the limit of her lung capacity, she felt a sharp twinge. So better, but not quite like before. Good, though. So the only things left were her wrist and her leg. Aziris smiled.

Maybe it was time to leave the Basin and return to Dalaran.

One, two, three
Four, five, six
Seven, eight, nine
Nine, nine, nine
Ten, ten, ten, ten
FroggyCows#1399

Login  •  Register