Ravenholdt RP Sanctum Azeroth Press The Twisting Nether Gazette Wowpedia
Forum rules
This forum is used to post Sanctum contests and challenges, as well as entries to those events. Please keep all submissions to a single thread per person per event.
redeyedtreefr0g
redeyedtreefr0g
redeyedtreefr0g

Writing Challenge Oct 2010

Postby redeyedtreefr0g » March 31st, 2014, 8:21 pm

Since writing the stories for the very very writing challenge, my characters stories have changed just a little bit. I've learned more about lore. Tauren gained access to the priest class as well as new horn designs. The Lomani character has evolved quite a bit without me even really playing her much.

Before my tauren, though, my original character was an undead priest. The writing is old and the entire basic concept is iffy, since I've learned that undead are not supposed to feel pain and such, but oh well.

The birthday challenge made me want to go back to see the stuff I wrote way back then.
If you feel like wasting quite a bit of time, I'd like to share these old stories.
I'll warn you: I was very bad at the concept of keeping a story "short". There was also no Pandora back then...

1. What Room Was The Holiday In
  2. She's My Ride Home
  3. Whenever
  4. I Want You
  5. Get This Party Started
  6. Prospero's Speech
  7. Better Man
  8. The Gorillas
  9. Sleeping Beauty
  10. Mistress
  11. Revolution Man
  12. Devour
  13. Annihilation
  14. Pig
  15. Nightmare
  16. Enigma
  17. Indestructible
  18. Numb
  19. Echo
  20. The Noose
  21. Bound
  22. The Outsider
  23. Bitter
  24. Criminal
  25. Time Goes By
  26. Broken
  27. Headstrong
  28. Stories
  29. Crimes
  30. The Curse
  31. Until You Crack
Last edited by redeyedtreefr0g on April 1st, 2014, 4:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
FroggyCows#1399
Tauren: Lomani, Kerala, Anura, Coqui, Chanchu, Pipapipa, Heget
Undead: Aziris

redeyedtreefr0g
redeyedtreefr0g
redeyedtreefr0g

Re: Writing Challenge Oct 2010

Postby redeyedtreefr0g » March 31st, 2014, 8:25 pm

01 What Room Was The Holiday In? - Tim McGraw

The couple danced as if there was cause to celebrate.

Perhaps for them, there was.

The music was lively as always for the Hallow’s End celebration. Various costumed folks danced and ate and sat around telling dressed-up and sleepy children scary stories. A bucket of bobbing apples attracted a line off to one side, and a band of scarecrow musicians played up near the fountain.

A beautiful purple-robed witch danced with a rather large and unbelievable goblin. They had been dancing for hours, occasionally stopping for refreshments and candy, but they were thoroughly enjoying themselves.

The witch’s silver hair was unmistakable, and she earned the envious looks of many a young woman who wished for her looks and social standing. Likewise it wasn’t hard to see that the goblin partner was the horse-boy who had caught her fancy. He earned his own looks from jealous young males and irate noble brothers and aunts of her family.

Still, the two danced with only each other, not noticing more than themselves, and they would say later that it must have been the best Hallow’s End party they could think of attending.

You've got a glow that's not a suntan
And a new gleam in your eyes
Oh, it must have been one great vacation
Girl, you look so satisfied

[chorus]
Tell me what room was the holiday in
Was I out of your mind when you turned to him
What a good time it must have been
Tell me what room was the holiday in

You said you needed a small vacation
Just a couple of days all by yourself
So, off you went in a new direction
And what you found was someone else

[chorus]
x3
Last edited by redeyedtreefr0g on March 31st, 2014, 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FroggyCows#1399

redeyedtreefr0g
redeyedtreefr0g
redeyedtreefr0g

Postby redeyedtreefr0g » March 31st, 2014, 8:30 pm

02 She’s My Ride Home - Blue October

It had been a fruitless effort, and they rode home silently, holding hands despite it all. Nadine’s family wasn’t going to budge. They disliked Kerchak, and nothing he could do would change their mind.

Nadine was saddened, but her mind was made. No matter how many times they might tell her that they were disappointed in her, how they tried to tell her she was different now, and where was their baby? She was his. Undisputedly, irrevocably his. And she had proved it tonight.

They had just about disowned her, in all but name.

Nadine would not have access to the funds her other sisters would have to raise their children, educate them well, and generally support themselves. She had chosen Kerchak and his meager way of life, raising horses like his father. It would be rough, but looking at her, wrapped in her cloak against the chilly night air, his heart swelled with love. It didn’t matter that they said the relationship was doomed, and that she was throwing everything away for a cowboy. Who cared if no one else believed in them?

His.

The ride back to his small home was quiet and peaceful, and they enjoyed it immensely, taking quiet comfort in the support of each other.

We talked
Together sharpening a knife
Like killing partners for a life
Hey, we can hide the bodies on the ride home
Now here we are
We're licking skin to wipe us clean
Strike a match, pour gasoline
Ditch the scene and watch the city burn
Asleep my lap will be a pillow steering-wheel turn

[Chorus]
I'll be reaching for the stars with you, honey
Who cares no-one else believes
So I set fire to everyone around but you
(I told you) I told you we'd do it
So ha ha ha ha, ha ha ha yeah, we won

We drive
To leave the past and clear the mind
To watch the sunset at its time
I swear you're fine, I'm your ride home
Now close your eyes
It's getting dark and the highway's clear
No sign of life from front to rear
It's just you, my dear, on the ride home
We're going home

[Chorus]

We talked
Together sharpening a knife
Like killing partners for a life
Hey, we can hide the bodies on the ride home
Cause we're going home

[Chorus]
FroggyCows#1399

redeyedtreefr0g
redeyedtreefr0g
redeyedtreefr0g

Postby redeyedtreefr0g » March 31st, 2014, 8:37 pm

03 Whenever Wherever - Shakira

Nadine looked at herself in the small mirror and smiled happily. She looked wonderful, even to her own modest eyes. The flowers that Grammy had made wreathed her head like a crown, nestled in the gathered folds of the lacy veil. The lace was old, older than even Grammy, but still white and perfect. It covered her long silver hair and draped past it, all the way to just above the ground, where it swirled with the folds of the gown prettily.

The gown itself had been adjusted only slightly to make it fit perfect. She’d been told the shoulders had been tailored, and an entire four inches had been folded under to make the hem just right. The silk was as perfect as the lace, even after so many brides had worn it, including her own Aunt. The dress was square-necked, with an empire waist and long graceful lace sleeves ending in pretty points with a pearl. Lace covered the bodice, and then the skirt was left to shimmer on it own down to the floor. Delicate crystal beadwork decorated all the lace and each hem. She sparkled slightly each time she moved.

Her bridesmaids fluttered around the tiny room with their own worries, one in a lovely pink dress, her twin sister, the other in a matching rose red one. They all would carry flowers arranged vertically, supposedly arranged that way to make Nadine not appear so small. There were two large flowers and tall leaves behind them with sprays of tiny flowers to either side, then ribbons of beads and lace and silk and tiny draping flower vines trailing delicately.

On her feet were slippers entirely of crystal beads, so clear it looked as if she wore crushed glass, and they glittered with an extravagance that Nadine normally would have avoided. Around her neck and on each ear were simple pink and white pearls which her mother had objected over. Nadine was glad the gaudy thing her mother had chosen for her had managed to get itself broken so easily as to let her have a convenient excuse not to wear it.

“Alright, are you ready dear?” asked Jenna, putting the last few crystal twists into her short hair to hold it back from her face.

Nadine always thought her sister could never look bad, and sometimes envied that natural sense of beauty her twin seemed to have. Today though, she was simply happy, so much so that she didn’t have the words to answer, she just nodded quickly with a huge grin.

“Well let’s not keep them waiting then,” Karulean chirped, just as happy as the other girls. It was a catching emotion, among so much finery for the occasion.

The two girls opened each side of the two doors leading out of the tiny dressing room they had shared, letting in the cool autumn air. They stepped out together and went to the hall, adjusting flowers to the proper places and trying not to grin like fools the whole way. Nadine didn’t even try to hide her joy. Today was her day.

They reached the end of the hall and Karulean went first, opening the two doors there to the outdoors and stepping down the stairs lightly. Nadine could hear the small gathering outside make noises of appreciation for the lovely girl. Jenna went next, stepping out after a quick hug.

After a moment of waiting like she had been instructed to, Nadine stepped up to the archway and blinked in the bright light.  Before her stood a small crowd, aunts, uncles, grandmothers. Nieces and nephews, Nadine’s Mother, their friends. Her gaze swept through the gap between them to find her love, Kerchak. He was dressed in a fine dark suit, with a shirt to match the pink roses and a lovely dress tie. A white rose was tucked into his jacket pocket, and on his face was such a look of love, the mirror of the one she probably wore. Here was the one most important person in her entire life.

She didn’t know later how she got down those steps and the short walkway between the guests. All she knew was that she stood standing before him, no longer holding flowers, lost in his eyes, holding his hand.

She listened with half an ear as her mother and his were led through the rose ceremony, pledging to stand behind their children and not between them, and blessing the union. Perhaps their voices were strained with the lie, she did not notice. Kerchak’s eyes stared at her in that way he had, intense and full of emotion. He squeezed her hand, and she squeezed back. Reluctantly they let go their hands to grasp the roses their mothers passed to them. She smelled hers and then held it, spinning it while their good friend explained that these would be their first gifts as a couple. They started with a rose and exchanged gifts to each end up with a rose, just as they shared love. In times when difficulties arose, if ever they found it hard to speak to each other, just take the rose and place it out for the other, and it would speak the words that wouldn’t be said, I love you.

Jarod continued to speak about love and its virtues, and Nadine truly felt the words. She’d listened to them the night before, when he had finally finished writing the ceremony for them, he was so nervous. He had written it beautifully, and spent a good deal of time on it to make it special for them. Their second gifts, to show the world their love, were rings, to bind their fingers and show that Kerchak belonged to her and no other just as she belonged to him and no other. Finally the ceremony was finished, and they were told to embrace each other as husband and wife.

Nadine stepped toward Kerchak and looked up at him with a smile. He smiled back, then bent down to kiss her, and she wrapped her arm around him and returned the kiss. Even though she already knew it for the truth, they were telling each other the same thing. She would never have to wonder from here to the end of their lives, she would be there for him, and he would always be near. It had taken her longer to recognize it, but they were meant to be together.

They broke the kiss and turned to their family, Kerchak’s arm slipping beneath hers to circle her waist and rest his hand on her stomach gently. He knew the secret that not even the rest of her family knew yet. She squeezed him and then stepped forward with him to greet their guests and relax to the small celebration they had planned. They had the rest of their lives to enjoy together.

Lucky you were born that far away
So we could both make fun of distance
Lucky that I love a foreign land for
The lucky fact of your existence
Baby I would climb the Andes solely
To count the freckles on your body
Never could imagine there were only
Ten million ways to love somebody

Le ro lo le lo le
Le ro lo le lo le
Can't you see...I'm at your feet

[chorus]
Whenever, Wherever
We're meant to be together
I'll be there and you'll be near
And that's the deal my dear
Thereover, here under
You'll never have to wonder
We can always play by ear
But that's the deal my dear

Lucky that my lips not only mumble
they spill kisses like a fountain
Lucky that my breasts are small and humble
So you don't confuse them with mountains
Lucky I have strong legs like my mother
To run for cover when I need it
And these two eyes laugh for no other
The day you leave they'll cry a river

Le ro lo le lo le
Le ro lo le lo le

At your feet...I'm at your feet

[chorus]

Le ro lo le lo le
Le ro lo le lo le

Think out loud, say it again

Le ro lo le lo le lo le

Tell me one more time
That you'll live
Lost in my eyes

Whenever, wherever
We're meant to be together
I'll be there and you'll be near
And that's the deal my dear
You're over, you're under
You've got me head over heels
There's nothing left to fear
If you really feel the way I feel

[chorus]
FroggyCows#1399

redeyedtreefr0g
redeyedtreefr0g
redeyedtreefr0g

Postby redeyedtreefr0g » March 31st, 2014, 8:43 pm

01 I Want You - Savage Garden

The sunset was glorious, golden and scarlet, with bright fingers of orange reaching up behind the mountains to blend it all in a scene worthy of art. Nadine sat swinging gently from the chair hung on the porch, watching it slowly shift and change.

Patrick was playing with the small wooden carving his father had brought home from the city, resembling horses running or standing, one of a foal curled up asleep. He liked the rearing stallion the best, and they hadn’t been put down for more than an hour while the boy was awake to play with them.

The door opened with a slight squeak as Kerchak stepped out again, having been inside just a moment to check the progress of dinner. He stood for a moment, just admiring the way the amber light shone from her lovely silver hair, and glowed on her face.

She smiled at him and took his hand as he sat back down slowly, so as not to shake the swing bench too much. He settled back and put his arm back around her shoulders, bringing her closer. She shifted just a little, turning outward so her large belly wasn’t being squished. Kerchak let out a small laugh, waiting for her to settle before replacing his arm and giving a slight squeeze. She squeezed his hand back and leaned her head on his chest. She lowered his other arm to rest in her lap comfortably, beneath the lump of their second child, and they watched the night fall slowly, enjoying each other quietly.

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola
I don't need to try to explain
I just hold on tight and If it happens again
I may move so slightly to the arms
And the lips and the face
Of The Human Cannonball that
I need to I want to

[chorus]
Come stand a little bit closer
Breathe in and get a bit higher
You'll never know what hit you when
I get to you
Ooh I want you, I don't know if I need you but
Ooh I'd die to find out
Ooh I want you, I don't know if I need you but
Ooh I'd die to find out

I'm the kind of person who endorses a deep commitment
Getting comfy getting perfect is what I live for
But a look and then a smell of perfume
It's like I'm down on the floor
And I don't know what I'm in for
Conversation has a time and place in the interaction
Of a lover and a mate but the time of talking
Using symbols, using words can be likened
To a deep sea diver who is swimming with a raincoat

[Chorus]

Ooh, ah
Ooh, ah

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola
I don't need to try to explain
I just hold on tight and If it happens again
I may move so slightly to the arms
And the lips and the face
Of The Human Cannonball that
I need to I want to
FroggyCows#1399

redeyedtreefr0g
redeyedtreefr0g
redeyedtreefr0g

Postby redeyedtreefr0g » March 31st, 2014, 8:51 pm

05 Get This Party Started - Pink

This story doesn't exactly fit this song at all, so please be aware. My thought process behind this started out thinking of a party, and immediately I thought of a birthday party. Over the next few days, since I had no urge to write, I began thinking of simply birth day. It is a story I felt needed to be told, and since this song is the seed that began the idea, it is here, however disjointed. I just felt that I should explain a bit before you read the title and then get surprised by the actual story. It was somewhat difficult to write. I have never had children, and complications scare me quite a bit. Anyway, read if you like, or not.

Patrick was running around the house with a fistful of ribbons, excited and full of energy. The midwife had gone in a few moments before, and that meant he’d get a baby sister soon. He was too excited to stay in bed, and so Kerchak didn’t even try.

Kerchak himself was full of nervous energy also. He paced outside the room with a mixture of impatience, ignorance, worry, pride, and anticipation. He’d never seen or been involved with the birth of human beings, even though he’d assisted the veterinarians with foaling several times. Still, he had felt he would just be in the way, and thought being out here would be the best choice. Hearing the sounds within, though, and he was quickly coming to change his mind. He had been unfortunately out traveling during Patrick’s birth, but it sounded as if his wife was in considerable pain. Was that much commotion normal?

After a particularly loud shout, Kerchak decided that he couldn’t wait outside, he needed to be with Nadine, even if she might not need him. He opened the door and stepped inside, quickly shutting it to keep Patrick from wanting to come in too. The boy was entirely too curious. Nadine was up on the birthing table, her knees up and her back propped up by pillows. She was breathing hard, covered in a sheen of sweat that reflected the fire and bright lighting. The midwife was checking to see how things were progressing and her assistant was at Nadine’s side, using a cool cloth to try to comfort the soon-to-be mother in her exertions, whispering instructions now and then, and encouragement.

Nadine lay quietly now, her eyes closed. Kerchak stepped up to her and took her hand. She smiled and opened her eyes. The assistant smiled also, stepping back just a little in a polite gesture to give more room to the pair. Her curly red hair was damp and disheveled, in a similar state of neglect as Nadine’s normally beautiful and shining silver locks. Still, Kerchak thought his wife the most beautiful creature in the world. She winced slightly in pain, her breath catching. Her grip on his hand tightened in reaction, uncomfortable, but she could never hurt him.

The contraction passed and Nadine relaxed once more. The midwife probed her stomach and stepped back between Nadine’s knees, satisfied that things seemed to be going normally.

“You’re doing beautifully, Nadine, just a little longer and then you can bear down and bring your baby into the world. Just a little bit longer now, almost” said the pretty young assistant. Her freckled face held an expression of experienced calm and patience, which did much for Kerchak’s own sense of control. His presence also seemed to comfort Nadine, for she took the labor pains quietly, and didn’t seem as distressed as Kerchak’s imagination had led him to believe when he had waited outside.

The midwife ducked down again, measuring. “Alright, you’re ready dear, it’s all you now.” She brushed an errant twirl of hair from her face with her forearm, and straightened a cloth beneath Nadine’s knees. Her glance to the side swept over a small table with her instruments, a pair of scissors, a small balloon-like object, a pile of cloths and other things out of Kerchak’s sight. She turned her head back to her patient.

Nadine went through several long and painful contractions, during which she squeezed Kerchak equal to what he guessed her level of pain must be. He was lucky she was a small woman, and he was not a small man, and he idly wondered during a lull how many women must have seriously injured their mates during childbirth. Maybe those men had kept their distance. Nadine held her breath and grunted and pushed, and eventually cried out despite trying not too.

“I see the baby, Nadine, all women feel this pain even if before was easy for them, it will go quickly, just push, now.” The midwife and her assistant encouraged and reassured, and Kerchak kept silent, never letting go of Nadine, giving her his support. Her pretty blue eyes leaked tears, and she grimaced in pain, then clenched her teeth even as she clenched his hand in one of hers and the sheets in the other, and she bore down with all her strength again.

She suddenly relaxed with a sigh of relief as the midwife announced “You have a baby!” Kerchak leaned to see, but the midwife had an ugly blob laying on the blanket. “A baby born in caul is unusual, but nothing to worry about,” she said as she easily broke and wiped away the pouch from a very tiny child. “It’s sometimes seen as a sign of good fortune.” The woman deftly wiped away most of the fluid from the baby’s face and ensured it breathed, then cut the umbilical cord with her small pair of scissors. Within moments the woman had wrapped the child in a blanket and passed it to her assistant to give to Nadine.

Nadine, extremely pale, accepted her child with a weak smile.

“You have a beautiful new daughter, Nadine.” said the assistant. Kerchak leaned in to embrace his wife and his new daughter gently. The midwife was still working between Nadine’s knees, cleaning up Kerchak supposed. He was staring into the bright blue eyes of the tiny thing they had created. Blue eyes like her mother. Strange that the small little girl hadn’t cried out like he thought all babies did when they were born. But he could see that the child was breathing just fine, and looking about.

“Faith,” Nadine breathed softly. She and Kerchak had talked about the sort of names they both liked, and ultimately Kerchak had simply left the decision with her after he told her which ones he liked or disliked. Patrick was named the same way, with guidance from his father, but ultimately it was Nadine’s choice.

“A pretty name for a pretty child, my love.” he responded. He hugged her again, and listened to her breath with his eyes closed for a few moments, his head near her side, and he held her arm while she hugged around one of his. Faith lay quietly, her eyes closed now, on Nadine’s other side, cradled beside her. Kerchak looked up to see his little daughter again, so glad to have been here this time. He looked to his wonderful wife, about to ask her how Patrick’s birth might have differed.

Nadine’s eyes were almost closed, and she seemed so very weary. So pale. The arm beneath his hand he suddenly noticed was not as warm as he thought it should be, and he looked with alarm at his wife’s pallid face and then to the midwife and her assistant, both, he realized working frantically.

“What’s wrong?!” he demanded. It seemed the assistant took forever to speak, and the midwife paid no attention at all, just concentrating on whatever it was she was doing.

“A little bleeding is normal, but Nadine hasn’t stopped. She’s bleeding more now, we have to find out where and try to stop it.” Then she added, as if she might not have said it if the situation weren’t as serious as it was, “She might not survive.” She bent back to take away cloths soaked crimson from the midwife, and exchanged them for bright clean white ones. The redhead assisted with whatever whispered instructions she was given. Once she ran over to a cabinet on the other side of the delivery room and came back with a round bottle of red liquid, which she pushed into Kerchak’s hand.

“Make her drink if you can, the more the better.”

Kerchak immediately opened the bottle and leaned in to Nadine. “Nadine, dear heart. I have a drink for you,” Nadine didn’t open her eyes, but she breathed, as if she meant to say something in return. “No don’t talk, just drink. I know you’re tired, it will help you feel better.” Kerchak held the bottle to her lips, gods so pale. He carefully poured some for her, and she swallowed slowly. “More, now, it’s a lot. Drink it all, love.” Slowly he helped her drink. Twice she stopped and seemed to lapse to sleep, and twice, alarmed, he had roused her enough to drink more. Never once did she open her eyes.

Kerchak wished and prayed to whatever powers it might be that she’d just wake and open her eyes. He’d never been a religious person, finding most of it distasteful, even if he lived by the way some of them taught. But now he was wishing with all his might that the Light, or whatever it was they called it now, would hear and allow this one thing to happen, this one request. Any price was worth it if his wife would just not leave him right now. Oh please don’t leave.

“Kerchak…” The midwife was just standing there now, her arms and most of the front of her splashed with the lifeblood of his mate. So much… The woman looked absolutely distraught, and miserable for her lack of ability. Kerchak could see the inevitable in her eyes.

“No,” he begged. She winced and stepped back, as if distance would shield her from his grief. Her own grief. Nadine was her friend.

“Kerchak, there’s nothing more I can do, she’s lost too much blood. She’s bleeding internally and I can’t stop it. Even if I could, at this point she won’t recover.

“But she drank all the potion…” his mind was reeling. Nadine… What was he going to do without Nadine?

“I know. It didn’t help enough. I…  I don’t have the skill to help her any more than I tried. I’m so sorry. Mr. Reinsson,” she used a formal address, the better to deal with what would happen, “you have a new baby daughter, and a young son. They need you right now more than ever.”

Kerchak looked to the tiny bundle still nestled next to his wife, whose slow breathing had stopped. The assistant had lowered Nadine’s legs from the special arches they had been in, and raised a sheet to cover her. Kerchak lost the grip on his emotions completely. He collapsed in uncontrollable sobs.

Awkward, the midwife ushered her assistant from the room, slipping out as well to leave the poor man to his grief. She would come back in a few moments to be sure he remembered his daughter and to help him adjust, but for now he needed to be alone. She pushed aside her own feelings for now and sadly informed the guests, mostly friends of Kerchak and Nadine, not many family, of Nadine’s death. Numbly she answered their horrified questions, returned hugs of sorrow and comforted. Her poor assistant, never having experienced this before, followed her example, though her face was as wet as those she dealt with.

After a time, the midwife opened the door to the birthing room and stepped inside. She found Kerchak sitting next to Nadine, but no longer crying. He stroked her hair from her face and just stared at her. Faith lay untouched, silent.

The midwife strode across the room, slightly worried, but Faith was only laying quietly, no harm to her. She picked up the tiny child gently, noting how the bright eyes so resembled her mother’s. She stepped back around the table and simply put Faith into Kerchak’s arms, giving him no choice but to take the girl or let her be dropped to the floor.

Kerchak stared at his daughter for a long moment, motionless, holding his breath. Finally he remembered to breathe and with the intake of air, it seemed he recovered somewhat from the numbness that had struck him. The man recalled himself, and his children. The midwife knew he would still grieve for a very long time. She had never seen a couple as devoted to each other as they had been. But he had their children, and that would help him.

He stood with the oddly silent child and took one last look at his beloved.

“Go. Be with your family, Mr. Reinsson. I’ll take care of her.” the midwife assured. She pushed him gently toward the door.

He paused and hugged his daughter as tightly as he dared, then opened the door and stepped into the crowded and sorrowful hall outside.

I'm comin up so you better get this party started
(repeat)

Get this party started on a Saturday night
Everbody's waiting for me to arrive
Sending out the message to all of my friends
We'll be looking flashy in my Mercedes Benz
I got lots of style check my gold diamond rings
I can go for miles if you know what I mean

[chorus]
I'm coming up so you better get this party started
I'm coming up I'm comin
I'm coming up so you better get this party started

Pumping up the volume breaking down to the beat
Cruisin through the west side we'll be checking the scene
Boulevarders freakin as i'm coming up fast
I'll be burning rubber you'll be kissing my ass
Pull up to the bumper, get out of the car
License plates a stunner number one super star

[chorus]

Making my connection as I enter the room
Everybody's chillen as I set up the groove
Pumping up the volume with this brand new beat
Everybody's dancing and they're dancing for me
I'm your operator you can call anytime
I'll be your connection to the party line

[chorus]
FroggyCows#1399

redeyedtreefr0g
redeyedtreefr0g
redeyedtreefr0g

Postby redeyedtreefr0g » March 31st, 2014, 8:57 pm

06 Prospero’s Speech - Loreena Mckennit

The rain fell softly on the gathered people among the gravestones of the small cemetery. The sky was a somber shade of gray, leaking tears to equal the liquid expressions of sorrow from those beneath it.

The casket was shiny and expensive, paid for by the absent family, so set in their ways that they wouldn’t let go of them even for the death of their own. Shiny and smooth with silver trim and lock, it was closed now against the rain. White roses stood out in sharp contrast to the dark wood, somehow seeming to glow against the darkness around them. The favorite flower. The cleric read out the funeral prayers and entreaties to the Light to protect the spirit and grant it peace in a slow and unwavering tone, measured and continuous.

The husband stood nearest, his face wet and his eyes fixed on the coffin. He was lost in his own thoughts, not hearing the cleric or the whispered condolences of the few others present with him. His young son stood quietly clutching the hand of a dark-skinned nanny, watching his father. His face was hidden under the wide brim of his hat, and he watched the raindrops fall in front of his feet. Every once in a while he’d raise his head to look at his father, and then go back to waiting and watching the water.

Faith lay quietly in her father’s arms, ever a taciturn child. She rarely cried, unless reacting to pain. The raindrops fell on her occasionally without protest, and her bright blue eyes blinked away the water as she watched it fall.

Eventually, the cleric finished the rites and fell silent. He hesitated a moment, then stepped up to the grieving father and touched his shoulder, offering his sympathies. Except for the small nod, he’d have thought himself ignored. He left then, making his way to the tiny church. The small group of mourners began to follow him, all but the father with the children and the nanny.

The undertakers stepped in without regard for the man, hefting the coffin and lowering it down into the grave with a wet splash from gathered water. They climbed out and began rhythmically shoveling dirt into the hole, first with loud clumping noises, and then soft thuds as the coffin lid was covered.

Long after they had finished and left, the nanny finally sighed and stepped up to grasp the man’s arm, and she gently tugged him backwards, making him step back or else fall. He met her eyes, then, and without expression turned and began the long walk back home, never once looking behind him, instead cradling his daughter. After a time he reached back for Patrick’s hand, and the three walked together, the nanny following behind.

And now my charms are all o'erthrown
And what strength I have's mine own
Which is most faint; now t'is true
I must here be released by you

But release me from my bands
With the help of your good hands
Gentle breath of yours my sails
Must fill, or else my project fails,
Which was to please. Now I want
Spirits to enforce, art to enchant
And my ending is despair,
Unless I be relieved by prayer

Which pierces so that it assaults
Mercy itself and frees all faults
As you from your crimes would pardon'd be
Let your indulgence set me free.
FroggyCows#1399

redeyedtreefr0g
redeyedtreefr0g
redeyedtreefr0g

Postby redeyedtreefr0g » March 31st, 2014, 9:04 pm

07 Better Man - Clint Black

“Mista Reinsson, you won’t be gettin anywhere tomorra if you don’t be gettin to bed soonlike.” Teresa shook her hand, which happened to be holding a square of folded sheets, at the man. She then scowled as half of the sheet came loose and promptly unfolded, zigzagging down.

Mr. Reinsson was in the small room that served as a study, going over the latest case of books that had been shipped to him. He had been at it ever since the mail came mid-afternoon. His plate of dinner lay untouched and cold on the table next to him. It had actually been shoved away a bit to make room for another book to lay open. The children had eaten in Faith’s room, and she’d had to give them both a stern look after the two started launching field peas at each other.

“I know Teresa…” Mr. Reinsson began, not looking up from the paragraph he was reading.

“Oh no you don’t. Beggin your pardon, but them children been ignored all day by their fatha, and the herds too, if you didn’t have hands to be doin those chores.”

Kerchak finally raised his eyes to stare at the woman who’d been serving as his nanny since Patrick was born. “What did you say?” he asked, paying attention now. Teresa almost never complained of anything, and he’d realized over the years that when she did start in on him, it was for a good reason.

The sheet made fluttering circles in the air as the irritated woman unleashed her rant, emphasizing her points with a stab of that hand. “You be a good man mista Reinsson, but sometimes I’m thinkin you could be a better father to these two younguns. It ain’t all about fixin their hurts and teachin em right from wrong. You been locked up here all day chasin words, and your kids aren’t in there, mista.”

Kerchak scowled in annoyance. “Faith is sick, what you want me to do, let her die without a doctor?”

“I didn’t say that. I know she be sick, but you got two kids. And her not seein her daddy won’t help her get better niether. You go ahead and do your studyin. But don’t be forgettin in the meantime why you be doin it.” she started to turn away and continue down the hall, but then had another thought. “An them doctors know what they be doin too. Know more than you, I bet. You let em do their thing and you do yours. If that one don’t be knowin enough to help, then you go find one that knows more than him. Don’t be thinkin those books be helping you learn medicine overnight. You hear?”

Kerchak smiled at the stern woman holding a basket of laundry, with a crumpled sheet in a fist stuck on her hip demanding an answer. Slightly humbled, he mumbled an affirmative.

Satisfied, she turned and sauntered down the hall to the linen closet out of earshot, mumbling mild complaints about folding and uncooperative bedthings the entire way.

Marking the page he had been on, he closed the book, promising himself to make sure the volumes were packed in his things tomorrow. But the nanny was right. A better man than he might not have needed her to help him around the house and raising the children. But then, he thought with a smile, that better man would miss out on all of her antics too.

Teresa shoved sheets into the closet, hoping her advice had hit the mark. The man was brilliant, devoted, and stubborn as a mule, but he had to be careful how he dealt with his invalid daughter. He was under a lot of stress, and she’d do well to keep an eye on the family. Gods knew things wouldn’t be going this well forever, and she had a bad feeling that little Faith wasn’t just simply sick this time. She refolded the stubborn sheet and prayed.

What do you say when it's over?
I don't know if I should say anything at all
One day we're rollin' in the clover
Next thing you know we take the fall

Still, I think about the years since I first met you
And the way it might have been without you here
And I don't know if words from me can still upset you
But I've just gotta make this memory stand clear

I know I'm leavin' here a better man
For knowin' you this way
Things I couldn't do before, now I think I can
And I'm leavin here a better man

I guess I always knew I couldn't hold you
But I'd never be the one to set you free
Just like some old nursery rhyme your mama told you
You still believe in some old meant-to-be

[chorus]
x2
FroggyCows#1399

redeyedtreefr0g
redeyedtreefr0g
redeyedtreefr0g

Postby redeyedtreefr0g » March 31st, 2014, 9:08 pm

08 The Gorillas - Walt Disney's “Tarzan” Soundtrack

The jungle was hot and humid, the air perfumed with so many flowers and other heavy scents that it was like drinking rather than breathing. Strange sounds screamed and hissed and twittered and roared all around, never from the same directions and always suddenly, as if every creature in the wilderness was angry and hungry and hunting.

Kerchak hurried through the dense leaves and vines as fast and quietly as he could, searching for the damned beast that had bolted from the line. He knew the caravan would want to be moving soon, and even though he thought perhaps he’d be better off without them, he needed to get to Booty Bay. The merchant would not be there long.

The sound of another shriek, a noise that he was beginning to be accustomed to, suddenly had him pausing, hoping to hear it again, and yet at the same time thinking maybe he’d misheard, hoping he had. That hadn’t been a raptor cry, or even a raucous parrot. Had it? Were the other travelers searching too, perhaps they had come on one of the stealthier breeds of wild cat?  He had never been in the jungle, but he had read of the various deadly creatures that might be in it, and that was only the larger animals. He knew this place could be fatal in such a variety of ways… he tried not to recall the vivid and fierce pictures which had accompanied those chapters so long ago. He hoped it was a jungle cat just the same.

Still, he stood there, the only way to be absolutely silent in this cursed hot maze of undergrowth, and listened. He hated it here already. Mosquitoes clouded around him, forever biting, and still he listened. It was no use fighting them off anymore, he knew, and the sound had been close, maybe to the right? Or had it bounced from that ridge? He had just about decided that he must have imagined the cry, when it sounded again, very near. He cursed and started bolting toward the noise, hacking at the restrictive foliage and hoping he would be able to intervene.

Something was after his horse.

The panicked shrieking continued, part frightened cry, part frenzied challenge, and it served better than any visual guide could have. He stumbled out from the clutch of vines and leaves onto a fairly clear game trail, and thanked the Light that it went in the same direction he was headed, allowing him to rest his arms, unused to such work. He raced along the trail, careful to avoid the dips and outthrust roots that would trip him. He panted, covered in sweat, and so hot he longed for the river they had left days ago. Where? Where was the noise now?

He stopped again, holding a stitch in his side and trying to hear over the sounds of his own breath dragging into his lungs and the blood in his head rushing through his ears with each pound of his overworked heart. He was getting too old for this.

His horse finally screamed again, obviously outraged, and Kerchak jogged to the left around a group of laden trees and rocks to see a wide clearing where the sun actually made it through the canopy in some places to splash on the ground. All around it were dark shapes that he recognized from that book he had read so long ago, the long-armed beasts.They walked on their fists and were supposed to be a mostly gentle animal, very smart, and very territorial. The clearing was lined on both sides by the sloping side of high ridges and hills, and the smell of salt said they might even be near the ocean now. His horse was backed against the rocks of the south side of the clearing, bucking and kicking in a frenzy, surrounded by the creatures with nowhere to go.

Kerchak sheathed his short cutting chopping blade and was going to get  his rifle, but then he left it slung across his back. The things weren’t trying to hurt the horse. As he watched, one smaller creature, younger by the guess, darted forward and, avoiding the flying hoozes, reached out and slapped the horse on the back and darted away again. The other creatures seemed excited, throwing up leaves and hooting.
It was a game.

The horse was wet with sweat and it was mightily angry. It was doing everything it could to strike back at the creatures, but they were quick and displayed an intelligence exactly matched with what Kerchak had heard tales of. Still, there was a very large creature at the back of the gathering watching close, and it gave off an aggressive posture. Kerchak didn’t want to wait to see what it might do if the horse managed to hurt one of the small animals taunting it.

Not knowing much in the way of self defense or combat, Kerchak did know about animals. He thought perhaps, if he read the body language correctly, he might be able to get the outraged horse without hurting any of the creatures, and without them trying to hurt him either. The group looked like mostly young ones playing, and the adults, while supervising, were not involved. Kerchak moved slowly around to the south ridge and toward the horse, keeping his back to the rocks.

It wasn’t long before the adults noticed him, and though the big one stood up, it didn’t move to attack. The younger creatures noticed the change in the atmosphere and stopped their game, and the horse stood breathing hard, its head hanging low, ears back. The creatures were smart enough to not be within easy reach of a bite or fkick, but they were more interested in Kerchak now than the horse.

Kerchak continued to move slowly toward the horse, and it flicked an ear at him, but otherwise didn’t move. One of the young animals broke away from the group, starting toward Kerchak, and the scream of the large male stopped both it and Kerchak in their tracks. Still, it didn’t come, and so Kerchak took another step. Cautiously, oh so cautiously, he approached the edge of the circle of animals surrounding the horse, one eye always on the big one. As he neared them, the other animals moved away, except for the braver nearly-adult males. They stared at him, and he was surprised at their faces, at the thoughts he could see there, the curiosity, the uncertainty. They weren’t so different from humans.

The horse seemed in no mood to run anymore, if fact it looked exhausted and perhaps would be willing to be led quietly away from these curious playmates it had stumbled onto. Kerchak had regained his breath now and he thought everything would be fine now. The tenseness in the air was a physical thing, like the scents, and knew any threatening gesture from him would send that leader male into a challenging state. It was his territory, his group, and Kerchak had no business being there. Almost to the horse, now.

The horse was indeed too tired to put up much fight, thought it did shy away as he put his hand out to snatch the bridle. Horse in hand now, he started back the way he came, back along the ridge. The younger animals were beginning to lose interest, seeing their entertainment leaving without a ruckus. Kerchak felt like the hard part might be over, and the large leader male simply watched, and then even sat down when the distance between the closest creature and Kerchak grew to something he must have been more comfortable with. More at ease after that, Kerchak went ahead and turned to walk normally, leading the horse down the channel between the ravines, over roots and back somewhat in the direction he thought might be right.

He was very happy to have seen the animals he had read about as a boy, and to know that they were just as intelligent as he heard, willing to recognize a non-threat and not immediately attack anything that moved. He prayed they would avoid the caravan and the wanton hunting those men would likely do if they came upon the creatures. They’d had wonderful thick fur that no doubt would be prized. Still, that large one had looked like it was perfectly capable of protecting that group it was with, and was ready to do so. Kerchak didn’t want to see what one of those would do if it got angry. It looked like it could rip him in half with those arms, not to mention the teeth it probably had.

Kerchak was surprised to climb out of the jungle and onto the wide and well traveled road through Stranglethorn. And there, with the best timing on Azeroth, came the caravan. The boy who’d been helping him care for the animals was nowhere in sight, probably hiding after the whipping Kerchak had given him for not securing the horse well enough. It served him right. What if there had been more than one horse on that line? A fortune could have been lost to the predators of this jungle.

Kerchak tied the horse firmly to the corner of the rear wagon as it passed and walked beside it, nodding back at the grunts of greeting he got from the drivers. The jungle heat made everyone grumpy, but at least the mosquitoes weren’t quite so bad anymore.

Kerchak entered Booty Bay a short time later with a small purse and his horse, happy not to have had to use his so-called advertised “guard” skills during the trip. He was as ever confident that this time, the merchant might have the knowledge he needed. Maybe this time would be the last that he’d have to leave home.

Maybe this time he could find the means to remedy his daughter where all the priests and paladins before had failed. With the image of the wondrous smart jungle creatures in his mind and an optimism he still held in his heart, Kerchak stepped out from the tunnel onto the decks and sunlight of Booty Bay.
FroggyCows#1399

redeyedtreefr0g
redeyedtreefr0g
redeyedtreefr0g

Postby redeyedtreefr0g » March 31st, 2014, 9:11 pm

09 Sleeping Beauty - A Perfect Circle

The child was perfectly unresponsive and relaxed in total senselessness. She looked to be sleeping, but he had tried everything he knew of to wake her. She responded not to salts, or light, or even pain, though he had been reluctant to test it.

She was in a coma.

The doctor sighed, at a loss. There was nothing to cure, here. Surely, the fragility was an astounding thing to behold, but that alone would not cause this. He thought the headache was surely involved. She had complained of the headache that often plagued her lately, but by the time the doctor arrived, she seemed to have recovered from it. Her father apologized for calling him to the house. His daughter sat up in bed and despite not knowing the time of day, or even what day it was, could answer his questions otherwise lucidly and normally. She even said she was hungry. Her father had gone to get her some soup from the late supper they’d had.

She had been asking the doctor if he had any children. He had smiled at her and before he could answer that he had a grown up daughter, she’d gone completely limp like a puppet with the strings cut.

Her father had come in while he was checking her eyes for a response to light. Her pretty blue eyes didn’t react at all to the bright little moonstone. The father had sunk down into the only chair in the room, in the corner, and hung his head over the soup bowl in his hands. The burden of being unable to help his child was plain on his face.

“A new symptom,” was all he said. The doctor guessed it wasn’t the first time something new had happened to his daughter. How long had she been ill?

“Yes, sir.” he replied. While the father watched, he reluctantly pricked the girl with a small needle. The man opened his mouth, but before he could say anything, the doctor explained. “I just needed to see if pain would wake her. She’s in a coma, there’s nothing I can do.

The father paused, and then shrugged. “I was just going to tell you that you might need to stick her harder for a reaction.”

The doctor stared at the man, wondering if he was sane.

The father set down the soup bowl to keep from spilling it. “She’s a tough little girl, doc. She’s been through more pain than anyone I know, including veteran soldiers, and she’s only twelve. Small pains don’t bother her anymore. She’s got enough big ones.”

The doctor looked at the father and back to the child, noticing the lump he’d ignored earlier beneath the blanket.

“What happened to her leg?” he asked.

The father lowered his head into his hands. “I broke it.”

“Excuse me?” and at the doctor’s incredulous and suspicious tone, the father somehow stood and crossed the room to stand threateningly close, all signs of weakness and sorrow gone. He was a larger man than most, and the doctor, not quite average, felt the appropriate amount of worry for his well-being. Somehow he was backed against the wall, without anywhere to go, he realized. The father glared at him, angry. His voice, though, was calm. Smooth and even.

“Look, I mean no disrespect, but at this point I don’t care what you might think. You,” he pointed his finger at the doctor’s chest, “are nowhere near as skilled as the doctors I have been chasing down to get to see her. I called you for headache medicine. I’ve been caring for my daughter a very long time, sir, and that’s not about to change now.”

He finally stepped back from the doctor, who breathed in a little deeper to clear away the sense of suffocation, and watched the father untie a pouch from his belt. He tossed it to the doctor, who caught it with a clinking noise. A purse. It was more than a normal fee for a headache cure, for a swindling health practioner. The doctor had no doubt that the father really was chasing down expensive and careless healers. The flame of indignation flared in his own eyes.

“Keep it. I may not be skilled enough to actually heal your daughter. But that doesn’t mean I don’t wish I could.” He dropped the purse of coins and snatched his bag. “Keep it,” he said again, opening the door. “You need it.”

That night, the doctor sat alone in his study, surrounded by books that had not been touched in years. Some were very old, and some newly scribed. All would be examined. He did not know enough to help that little girl, and it ate at his conscience. He’d always before been able to heal those he tried to. Now he needed to study and research, and learn.

Delusional
I believe I can cure it all for you, dear
Coax or trick or drive or
drag the demons from you
Make it right for you sleeping beauty
Truly thought
I can magically heal you

You're far beyond a visible sign of your awakening
Failing miserably to rescue

Sleeping Beauty

Drunk on ego
Truly thought I could make it right