Ravenholdt RP Sanctum Azeroth Press The Twisting Nether Gazette Wowpedia
Forum rules
This forum is used to post threads about anything not already covered by another forum.
Kiraleen
Kiraleen
Kiraleen

Re: Message in a bottle from Thom Jarington

Postby Kiraleen » December 14th, 2015, 3:23 am

Congratulations on finishing a novel! And good luck once you send your baby out into the wide world.

If you decide to try to self-publish, keep in mind the words of John Scalzi: "The money should flow to you." :D

PS: And ignore anyone who sneers at you for trying a 'girly romance novel'. Tom Huff tried to make a living selling he-man action stories, and was finally encouraged to try selling a romance novel under a pen name.

That name? Jennifer Wilde. That book? Love's Tender Fury, a book people of a Certain Age will remember. ;)

Thomas Jarington
Thomas Jarington
Thomas Jarington

Re: Message in a bottle from Thom Jarington

Postby Thomas Jarington » December 15th, 2015, 2:18 am

Thanks, Kira and Aerana!!!

Everyone here was a part of the adventure, pushing me over the edge into taking something I loved (writing), and making it even greater than it was. Completion of the 1st draft truly hit home the moment I printed the manuscript off.

"Relaxed" spacing, double-sided, it still printing into 174 pages (8 1/2 x 11). it's been 2 weeks since I finished. Since then, I've relaxed, not read a word of what I wrote and sent it off to a group of pre-selected 'ideal audience" readers who I know will be completely honest with me.

One thing I did, of which I am glad, was have someone reading it as I went along. We discussed what was working well for her as a reader, and what could have been better. We met once per week via phone and discussed 3-5 chapters. The first two weeks, there were plenty of 'even betters'.' However, by the end, the 'even betters' were very few. The majority of feedback was around what was working well, if any at all.

Cheers! and I'll see you guys in the WoW at some point this Christmas season.
Thomas Jarington & Co.

Login  •  Register