Ravenholdt RP Sanctum Azeroth Press The Twisting Nether Gazette Wowpedia
Forum rules
This forum is used to post threads about anything not already covered by another forum.
Nolan
Nolan
Nolan

Guess Pandaren are just a fad?

Postby Nolan » August 14th, 2014, 1:27 pm

As amazing as that presentation was, I don't think I could have had Metzen's wet dream shoved any farther down my throat... "The age of whimsical pandas is over." Guess I won't be rolling a monk for my main.
Noldain: Human Death Knight
Baltus Ravenholm: Worgen Priest
Nylaenan Oakwhisper: Night Elf Druid
Nipwick Mechaneedle: Gnome Rogue
Njolin Stonefeather: Dwarf Shaman

Naunet
Naunet
Global Moderator
Naunet

Re: Guess Pandaren are just a fad?

Postby Naunet » August 14th, 2014, 4:31 pm

*grimace*

This expac infuriates me to no end. The level of stupidity it took to think a story that completely breaks all prior established laws of time travel in the game universe, throws orcs into an incoherent battle, drags overused characters through the mud to hoist them onto pillars of fake glory, and generally just overlooks so much potential - it really boggles the mind.

"But ORCS!" they cry. "The golden years! A return to our roots!"

What a load of... not very nice words!

I mean really. Where is the logic in some random corrupt bronze dragon breaking Garrosh out of prison (because it totally makes sense to imprison the freaking evil dude who just tried to take over the world - yup) to send him back in time to some very specific point that really makes no sense. And of course, let's just forget about all we know about time travel in Azeroth's universe. No, this time sending him back in time is going to create an alternate reality - but only for one planet! And why Garrosh? Why to the drinking of fel blood? If you're gonna go back in time as a bid to gain conquering power, why not just go all the way back to the Burning Legion itself, which we know is far more powerful?

Soooooo dumb. And of course, you get an expac on DRAENOR, but far be it from them to spare some time to really give Draenei an hour to shine. It's not like the Draenei came to Azeroth and started telling people about this eternal war with the Burning Legion. It's not like they hoped to get the Horde and Alliance working together so they could finally have a chance to stop the Legion. It's not like they helped the factions defeat common enemies, helped get them through a faction war, and have now finally witnessed as close to a peace treaty as it may ever get. NOW is the time for the Draenei to speak up.

"Uh, so, about the Burning Legion, y'know the thing we've been building up to for several expacs now... do you think it's about time we maybe check on Draenor and... see how everyone's doing? I mean, we kind of just left them all to their own devices. Who knows what's going on there!"

That would have been the PERFECT opportunity. You go back to Outland to see about pressing the war with the Legion only to find out OOPS while we had our backs turned, the Legion has kind of cleaned house. Shattrath has been razed. Look, you've got a fun launch event right there with players assaulting Shattrath, rescuing people, trying to establish a secure base to maybe start to push the Legion back because no one wants them to come back through the Dark Portal again, that's for sure.

A much more coherent story, indeed. But nope, instead we get ORCS! And MORE ORCS! And ORCS VS HUMANS! And RAWWWR ORC ORC ORC mother frackin' orcs!

Ugh. Sorry for the rant, but this has been building in my head and between myself and Twinflame for over a month. Soooo much rage. xD
"Song dogs barking at the break of dawn, lightning pushes the edges of a thunder storm. And these streets, quiet as a sleeping army, send their battered dreams to heaven."

Sergeant Stonzgrinda
Sergeant Stonzgrinda
Sergeant Stonzgrinda

Postby Sergeant Stonzgrinda » August 14th, 2014, 5:57 pm

MoP very nearly killed Orc RP at end game. In doing so, it helped no one. Not any Alliance race, not even the quisling Darkspear. I'm not going to complain about some juice for Orcs after we were made the singular eeeeeevilllll race in MoP.

Yeah, so long Pandaria, thanks for all the banalities and cognitive dissonance.

On the overview, I've said this many times and will say it again: this is why you do not shackle your character to the half hearted and ill conceived franchise slop that is dignified with the name of "LORE". Depend on that lackluster vehicle, and your time and energy are wasted or made absurd at some one else's whim. Pick your little niche, and ride that niche, or run with the big dogs until they are caught, impounded and euthanized.

I think this is the last hurrah for the game for many reasons, but I'll ride it out until the virtual Ragnaraok, and try to go out with a bang.

Naunet
Naunet
Global Moderator
Naunet

Postby Naunet » August 14th, 2014, 6:10 pm

Sergeant Stonzgrinda wrote:I'm not going to complain about some juice for Orcs after we were made the singular eeeeeevilllll race in MoP.

Orcs had plenty of juice in Vanilla. And BC. And even Wrath, as you had the whole Hellscream thing going on and they were leading one half of the assaulting force on Icecrown Citadel, as well as taking down the rebellious Forsaken. And they may have become the "bad guys" in MoP, but they were still a banner race. It's high time someone else got the spotlight, but considering the last boss of the expac is going to be Grommash... no chance in hell. :(

It's orcs all the way down.
"Song dogs barking at the break of dawn, lightning pushes the edges of a thunder storm. And these streets, quiet as a sleeping army, send their battered dreams to heaven."

Dinpik
Dinpik
Dinpik

Postby Dinpik » August 14th, 2014, 6:44 pm

Tell us how you really feel, Naunet!

Seriously, though, I agree with the outright stupidity of the plot for WoD. I've said it on the General forums many times: WoW needs people who know how to write. If they're going to insist on sticking with Metzen, et al, they at least should be packed off to Clarion Writer's Workshop. Or a community college creative writing course. Anything to break the echo-chamber circle-jerk that is "the lore".

@Stonz: the Iron Horde are going to be Nazis in Conan the Barbarian drag. If you're not One Of Them, you ain't shit, only good to be conquered chattel And since no orc on game-Azeroth Is One Of Them....well. Unless you like the idea of being Grom Hellscream's boytoy. Given the latent homosexuality all those muscle-bound male* orcs are giving off, I'm sure there will be some Grom/OMC fanfic posted on Nifty and AO3.

*Seriously, where are the female orcs? None in the trailer! None anywhere in the beta screenshots I've seen! Is the Iron Horde stealing a page from Atum and reproducing via masturbation?

Resileaf
Resileaf
Resileaf

Postby Resileaf » August 14th, 2014, 7:50 pm

Naunet wrote:
Sergeant Stonzgrinda wrote:I'm not going to complain about some juice for Orcs after we were made the singular eeeeeevilllll race in MoP.

Orcs had plenty of juice in Vanilla. And BC. And even Wrath, as you had the whole Hellscream thing going on and they were leading one half of the assaulting force on Icecrown Citadel, as well as taking down the rebellious Forsaken. And they may have become the "bad guys" in MoP, but they were still a banner race. It's high time someone else got the spotlight, but considering the last boss of the expac is going to be Grommash... no chance in hell. :(

It's orcs all the way down.

Blizzard has gone on record saying the last boss wouldn't be just an Orc... I guess that could be guessed as meaning it could be a unique super-powered Orc, but that seems like a cop-out to me.

Naunet
Naunet
Global Moderator
Naunet

Postby Naunet » August 14th, 2014, 8:21 pm

Resileaf wrote:Blizzard has gone on record saying the last boss wouldn't be just an Orc... I guess that could be guessed as meaning it could be a unique super-powered Orc, but that seems like a cop-out to me.

An orc and his crony, most likely.

el oh el @ Kira. I both want to see those fanfics and want to run screaming. xD

Dinpik
Dinpik
Dinpik

Postby Dinpik » August 14th, 2014, 10:37 pm

Naunet wrote:
el oh el @ Kira. I both want to see those fanfics and want to run screaming. xD

Your wish is my Google-fu:

Prisoner: (Taran Zhu/Garrosh)
http://archiveofourown.org/works/1032766

Didn't read. Click at own risk!

Naunet
Naunet
Global Moderator
Naunet

Postby Naunet » August 14th, 2014, 11:10 pm

*whimpers*

darethy
darethy
darethy

Postby darethy » August 15th, 2014, 6:52 am

I have been called by many people a Lore Master, having studied Warcraft inside and out, I loved the setting so dearly but I with WoD and MoP I can safely say this: The lore is awful.

It is bad.

Terrible.

Agonizing.

Warcraft only functions for me as a setting at this point, Blizzard needs to stop writing narratives as they just alienate everyone involved, they have no one or close to no one good at storytelling.

Please. Stop.

Login  •  Register