Ravenholdt RP Sanctum Azeroth Press The Twisting Nether Gazette Wowpedia
Forum rules
This forum is used to post threads about anything not already covered by another forum.
Nolan
Nolan
Nolan

Re: Choosing Your RP Character

Postby Nolan » July 26th, 2014, 11:41 pm

I'm liking all these stories, keep it up folks! It's awesome to hear all these different ways you folks have been inspired to make your main (RP) characters.
Last edited by Nolan on July 29th, 2014, 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Noldain: Human Death Knight
Baltus Ravenholm: Worgen Priest
Nylaenan Oakwhisper: Night Elf Druid
Nipwick Mechaneedle: Gnome Rogue
Njolin Stonefeather: Dwarf Shaman

Tirien
Tirien
Tirien

Postby Tirien » July 27th, 2014, 1:34 pm

I made my mage, Rhork, out of a desire to try out Magic RP. As I said before, my love is for Humans and I feel Mages (or any spellcaster for that matter) are incredibly interesting for that race.

As far as Magic goes, I love the idea that emotions and passions can be the primary driving force behind it. Sure logic, reason, and intense study is required to shape it but I feel that the eseense of it comes from a person's core, their inner being, their 'soul' and will. Its that fact and perception that keeps me enthralled with Human spellcasters (arcane and holy) and Rhork is the lens through which I will try my best to reflect that.

All things considered, I am also a huge fan of potential. Humans, lore-wise I've seen, have the most potential to become great. It's the balancing factor to their short(er) life spans. Most of the characters I create start with the means to become something incredible. Rhork has the unfortunate luck to have the most out of my toons. Hah.
polartech.deviantart.com

Naunet
Naunet
Global Moderator
Naunet

Postby Naunet » July 27th, 2014, 5:30 pm

Nolzog Demonbreaker wrote:Just on a personal note real quick...

Draenei

Draenei are awesome, so excellent choice. Best race behind Forsaken. *thumbs up*
"Song dogs barking at the break of dawn, lightning pushes the edges of a thunder storm. And these streets, quiet as a sleeping army, send their battered dreams to heaven."

Draxonicar
Draxonicar
Draxonicar

Postby Draxonicar » July 28th, 2014, 5:45 pm

because likable characters are overrated

redeyedtreefr0g
redeyedtreefr0g
redeyedtreefr0g

Postby redeyedtreefr0g » July 29th, 2014, 12:43 pm

I still consider myself a newbie roleplayer, but if you're interested I'll share my experience.

Warcraft is pretty much my first and only video game, other than Mario and Donkey Kong very briefly while we had a Nintendo system as a kid. My husband and his mom played shortly after the game launched, and in watching them I became interested. My first character was a Night Elf rogue on mom's account, because I thought it would be neat to sneak around. I logged in and it took me half a day by myself to figure out how to walk the character, then how to chat and ask questions. I got that one to level 20, I think, before my husband saw that I was interested in playing and got me my own account.

He played orcs, so I looked through the races and thought about what I'd like to do. I decided to try healing, as I am a natural follower. Trolls didn't appeal to me, so I chose undead. I was many levels behind husband and mom both, so my entire first experience was in healing without pulling aggro, which being so low level was hard to do. They were my shield, and I was theirs. A hunter, and a pair of "pocket rogues" to protect me. I remember that we were amazing in battlegrounds, I had so much fun.

Roleplaying was something I'd tried with my husband and his brother in the form of "Catacomb"- their own simplified poor-man version of Dungeons and Dragons. So, it wasn't long before we tried that. I THINK our first server was Shadow Council? My priest's name was Fâith, but that was back before special characters were lawful. I didn't really have a definite story for Fâith, per se, but I had to go a long time sometimes between log-ins due to real life stresses. Those same stresses used to cause tension headaches for me, so I came up with a similar excuse for my character- she'd periodically get headaches and revert to mindlessness. Eventually, that story of a physical ailment grew and became the character I have now, because at the time I didn't know enough about lore to realize that Forsaken were not supposed to feel pain and such as undead. My priest is a child who suffered her entire short life, who is happy to be undead as she can "live" like she never could before. I need to change some things, but basically, if I play her, that is who Aziris is (in Gutterspeak, either "Faith" or my name translates to "Aziri", I'm not sure where the extra "s" came from).

After a long extended absence, we returned to the game and my husband wanted to try another class, a tank type, and he chose druid. Only Tauren could be druids, so I decided that I'd try their style of healing. So we rolled druids together, and it was epic. While in Thunder Bluff one day, Lomani the resto druid saw Kwam of the Horns of Shuhalo talking with other guildmates in-character. They were much higher level than me, but I went catform anyway not realizing that could see me and I spied on them. When they noticed me, I responded with catform emotes and general shyness, but it counted as roleplaying. I ran away to rejoin my husband leveling, but I was hooked. Kalkervic and Lomani joined the Horns soon after that. Lomani's story was again vague and not really thought about. I was resto, but without a good reason for avoiding shapeshifting so much- I hated dpsing and didn't think I could tank- I liked healing and that's it. So her difficulties in druid shape-shifting ability was the only thing I really thought about- otherwise she was just a nice somewhat shy tauren girl. "Lomani" is also a name based on in-game language translation. It is probably "Aziris" in Taure'he.

Kerala was born during a server re-roll, when I decided to try my hand at tanking instead of healing shortly after her creation. She was still going to be a healer, but I wanted to level as a bear so that I'd know how to do that too, if I wanted. "Kerala" was named because druids used to have to heal in tree form, called Tree of Life. A google search at the time taught me that a coconut tree was often referred to as a Tree of Life because it was so useful for survival from the coconuts themselves, to the ways parts of the tree could be used. Kerala was I think the name of an island where coconut trees were very prosperous or something. It sounded like a Tauren name to me :)

Aziris, Lomani, and Kerala are my only characters NOT named after frogs in some way. Aziris was my first real character (Fâith only made it to 52, Aziris dinged 60 shortly before BC), and I'm silly in that I love the way my husband says my druid's names. Lomanilomanilomani- like "lemony fresh" or "lemon tree". And "Keralabear", like koala. Whatever I'm keeping those names.

The minute Tauren could become priests, I knew Aziris was in trouble. I love Tauren. My husband wanting to play a druid is what started it, but all my characters thereafter have been cows if able. Lomani WOULD have been another priest if that had been possible at the time. Since I liked both names, but didn't need separate healing and tanking druids, the keralabear became my druid. Lomani was reborn as my new Tauren priest.

I like having IC reasons for OOC things a lot of the time, so I figured I should have a good reason for her to suddenly go from being a druid to a priest. Not only that, but I found juggling life and trying to play to be too much. I pretty much missed all of the Cataclysm expansion. I found the Snapped horn option in the barbershop, and that seeded the idea that Lomani almost died in Northrend. She spent the Cataclysm time recovering. Since I still felt so very awkward trying to roleplay, she has amnesia and so has a very good reason for not having a clue about lore, if I need it, as well as a great reason for basically becoming a new person- A priest.

Kerala needed a similar reason to be clueless, and I always thought that the conflict between centaur and the Tauren was interesting. I never got to play the original games before Wow, and that story fascinates me. Baine was captured by Tauren, but was freed. What would happen if you weren't an important person, and were left to your fate? So, Kerala was one of the victims of centaur warfare. I had to have a reason for the centaur to not just outright eat her, so I tried to think of how she might be more valuable alive than as a meal. Magram value strength above all. Somewhere I read that centaur COULD take slaves to mine opals for them...and then eat them when they died. Kerala's story evolved from there.

I still love Aziris and her story, but she is no longer linked with Lomani as a friend and protector. Her "innocence" couldn't last, and with Lomani presumed dead, it made sense to me that she'd have been devastated. She's now disguised as a proper undead (now that I know a little more about them in general) and is what she had always been afraid of becoming- an Apothecary.

My goal as a player is to play and become familiar with every class of healer, and eventually every tank. To have a literal herd, because Tauren are the only race capable of that :) I have RP ideas for all of them, but the three I mentioned are the only ones I've roleplayed so far.
FroggyCows#1399
Tauren: Lomani, Kerala, Anura, Coqui, Chanchu, Pipapipa, Heget
Undead: Aziris

Nolan
Nolan
Nolan

Postby Nolan » August 4th, 2014, 5:33 pm

I have to post this because my waffling sickness is flaring up. I've gone back and read several posts throughout this thread and I've found that most people seem to have comfortably found their main. How it happened though is still a bit of a mystery.

For me, I've been suffering lately from Horde envy, Orcs in particular, since Chris Metzen is living out his wet dreams with Warlords of Draenor. That said, my first character ever made was actually a Tauren which over time became an Orc, then back to Tauren, then back to Orc. I love Orcs too but I can't shake the feeling that I'm kind of hopping the bandwagon every time my character is hunched and green... I also love Tauren, despite their unusual body structure and ridiculously oversized hooves.

I also will admit to feeling a bit bandwagon-ey for being Horde since the Alliance is getting the shaft yet again in this expansion. I mean, the Horde's basically getting a whole year or two of Horde-style gear, deep story involving the Orc chieftans, and heck, you get to TALK TO DUROTAN HIMSELF! Whereas the Alliance gets to go in and watch time and again as the Iron Horde tramples the Alliance, (supposedly) kills the alternative Velen, and you'll (probably) be spending this entire expansion as the proverbial janitor. Mopping up blood, killing Iron Horde Orcs by the dozen, and dealing, yet again, with tyrannical Orcs.

I dunno. What am I supposed to choose? >.>

Naunet
Naunet
Global Moderator
Naunet

Postby Naunet » August 4th, 2014, 9:54 pm

Don't worry about feeling bandwagon-y. Play what makes you happy. If orcs and the Horde make you happy, then that's what you play.
"Song dogs barking at the break of dawn, lightning pushes the edges of a thunder storm. And these streets, quiet as a sleeping army, send their battered dreams to heaven."

LEGION
LEGION
LEGION

Postby LEGION » August 5th, 2014, 10:03 am

I won't promise not to call you 'E-Z Mode" for going green. I'll probably even do it to your virtual face. ;)

But the bottom line is to play what you enjoy. If you already have any orc characters here, you may want to use them to feed your Horde envy when the XPac comes out, and save the slots for things you haven't explored yet if you think you'll want to do that. But there are plenty of people who like what they like and will NEVER branch out. I once dated a guy who ate hamburgers and french fries. Every. Day. (Some days he'd go crazy and eat a fish or chicken sandwich, but it was rare) I gave up trying to encourage him to try other things. He was happy with what he liked and that was enough.

Nolan
Nolan
Nolan

Postby Nolan » August 5th, 2014, 11:11 am

LEGION wrote:I won't promise not to call you 'E-Z Mode" for going green. I'll probably even do it to your virtual face. ;)

But the bottom line is to play what you enjoy. If you already have any orc characters here, you may want to use them to feed your Horde envy when the XPac comes out, and save the slots for things you haven't explored yet if you think you'll want to do that. But there are plenty of people who like what they like and will NEVER branch out. I once dated a guy who ate hamburgers and french fries. Every. Day. (Some days he'd go crazy and eat a fish or chicken sandwich, but it was rare) I gave up trying to encourage him to try other things. He was happy with what he liked and that was enough.

I've actually decided to go with Tauren so I guess it's "E-Z Mode for going steak" :)

Don't get me wrong, I love both factions in my own way but the Horde as a whole is more supported. Plus, Tauren are huge, which is one of the biggest (no pun intended) draws for me.

redeyedtreefr0g
redeyedtreefr0g
redeyedtreefr0g

Postby redeyedtreefr0g » August 5th, 2014, 4:43 pm

Gnome priests would drive me bananas with line-of-sight issues :P
FroggyCows#1399