Ravenholdt RP Sanctum Azeroth Press The Twisting Nether Gazette Wowpedia
Forum rules
This forum is used to post threads about anything not already covered by another forum.
Kiraleen
Kiraleen
Kiraleen

Re: Choosing Your RP Character

Postby Kiraleen » July 25th, 2014, 9:40 am

LEGION wrote:
Cerestal wrote:As a mary-sue warning, don't be epic in all kinds of shapeshifting; pick a discipline (talon, claw, fang etc) and specialize in that.

Wait, what? Are you saying you have a problem with my Dworgen??! (Demon/Dwarf/Worgen) :evil:

"I'm still waiting on those earrings, darling! I did spot an orc who might be acceptable." -- Daphni

Naunet
Naunet
Global Moderator
Naunet

Postby Naunet » July 25th, 2014, 12:15 pm

Kiraleen wrote:"I'm still waiting on those earrings, darling! I did spot an orc who might be acceptable." -- Daphni

Orc... earrings?! Oh the stretching...! D:
"Song dogs barking at the break of dawn, lightning pushes the edges of a thunder storm. And these streets, quiet as a sleeping army, send their battered dreams to heaven."

Nolan
Nolan
Nolan

Postby Nolan » July 25th, 2014, 2:26 pm

My personal characters are going to be quite different from one another but they ARE members of the Alliance. My monk will be a meditative thinker spending most of his time travelling around finding new brews, since he's a brewmaster. My Draenei Paladin, no matter what spec, will basically be a simple soldier tending wounds or protecting people in skirmishes.

My main, the Worgen, will indeed be involved in the Gilnean Liberation Front but I don't want to be completely tied to it. I'm certain Wrynn has use of such ferocious soldiers and militiamen in the greater scheme of things. And as for my primary alt, the Night Elf druid, he will be more of a councilor and journeyman than a soldier. For him and my other 2 alts, it's more about the RP :)

I am easily inspired by such things as Underworld: Rise of the Lycans, my love of nature elves (silly I know :P), the wandering martial artist/monk, and the Draenei is just because I love their lore. :D
Noldain: Human Death Knight
Baltus Ravenholm: Worgen Priest
Nylaenan Oakwhisper: Night Elf Druid
Nipwick Mechaneedle: Gnome Rogue
Njolin Stonefeather: Dwarf Shaman

Pathovar
Pathovar
Pathovar

Postby Pathovar » July 25th, 2014, 6:00 pm

You've got some great ideas, Nolzog! I'm excited to see what you decide on.

Gnomes are definitely my personal favorite race to RP. As "supporting cast" in the WoW universe, their lore is a bit less fleshed out, lending some freedom to an RPer (though one must be careful not to wander too far off track from canon, lest a future expansion render a story moot.) Their advanced society allows use of modern military terms, which are familiar to me and make my stories seem a bit more deep and believable, and their primarily silly nature allows light-hearted RP without seeming like a troll or a goof.

I created Flitin with the idea of living out a character's progression from a stuttering, fearful "boot" to a hard-hearted veteran warrior. However, the dark turn I had planned never felt quite right for Flitin as he gained a life of his own, and he remains his soft-hearted self.

To indulge my darker ideas, I created Pathovar. The inspiration for him came from the Gearmaster Mechazod series of quests, where one of the Gnomes you "rescue" from Mechagnome form responds to your aid with "No…. I was.. perfect."

I found to be an incredibly poignant moment in an otherwise silly quest chain, and decided to explore more fully. Thus, Pathovar and the Perfectors were born.

Inspiration can come at any time. I'm sure you'll find no shortage of it as you continue your adventures!

Tirien
Tirien
Tirien

Postby Tirien » July 25th, 2014, 8:22 pm

I made Tirien...uh...on a whim, mostly. I had never RP'd in anything other than Table-tops RPGs and I wanted to try something new. Around 2009 I made Tirien on Sargeras and got him to 51 where he sat for years until the end of July, 2013. I did research on role-play WoW servers and stumbled upon a post by Aerana (?) I think. Either way, it convinced me to choose Ravenholdt over Emerald Dream and off Tirien went (Along with $ for the x-fer). Once I was on Ravenholdt, I saddled up and went to Elwynn where I tried my hand at the tavern RP that was going on. Holy mess was I nervous. Managed to not log out instantly and earned a nickname 'Tripper' for Tirien. Four days later I was level 90 as I had lots of time on my hands then.

Then began the task of making Tirien a character, which I feel I both failed and succeeded at. I am a huge fan of 'rangers', 'outdoorsmen', 'rogues', 'stealth', the South (irl), Westfall, and discovered a love for Humans in WoW. Until July, I played Horde since WoW launched, though now I find my heart was actually blue this whole time.

Then, you know, I made about 5 more toons. Also fan-art. Lots and lots of fan art (most of which will never see the light of day). I've largely taken WoW RP as a chance to buff up my writing skills as well. I feel I've made excellent progress (as beginners usually do) from my first Forum post.
polartech.deviantart.com

RiktheRed21
RiktheRed21
RiktheRed21

Postby RiktheRed21 » July 25th, 2014, 9:37 pm

My favorite character at the moment is my human rogue. He's a pirate assassin, which is my favorite kind of thing. This is also why my favorite game, (not counting WoW), is Assassin's Creed 4. I pretty much modeled all of my character minus his personality and story on Edward Kenway. That and his hair color, because gingers are my thing.
"I am the Night!" -Brinnea, Rikthered, Cynthya, Orgog, Kazarak.....

Myaka
Myaka
Myaka

Postby Myaka » July 25th, 2014, 11:51 pm

I really like some of the ideas you have! I look forward to where you take your idea!

Mya was going to just be a side project while I mained Horde on a side project, while I was flipping through the race class combos I clicked on a female human warrior. When the toon that is now Mya popped up, I had the idea of a Theramore guard character that shared Jaina's peaceful view on the Horde without the protection of Jaina's reputation and status.

Thus the original incarnation of Mya was born! Her character has evolved over story writing and RP with people on the servers (Such as a certain Rogue General in TE =P) and she's also become my main toon. I alt hop a lot but she's always the one I go back too.
Battletag: Myaka#1873 feel free to add me! If your tag is different then your character name say you are from the sanctum.
Alliance: Myaka(Main), Mervic, Surina, Dundhane(Emerys Dundhane)
Horde: Fleetmane, Kirand.

Cerestal
Cerestal
Cerestal

Postby Cerestal » July 26th, 2014, 1:43 am

Honestly, Cerestal is nothing like I originally envisioned him but I love where he is now. Massive, brutish, uneducated* and loves nothing more than curbstomping somebody, drinking some mead and making love to a certain someone afterwards.

I thought of the kind of soldier a good commander would want in his corner - a vicious warhound that needs to be restrained instead of told to attack, yet will stand up and say 'I believe that is a bad idea sir/ma'am - I suggest this instead' if needed.

All my other peeps began their lives as supporting characters in a character's story that I felt cool or real enough to springboard into the game. By far Grathier (my main RP toon) is my favorite - though OOCly I'm not witty or extroverted enough to use him properly.

* - Except war. He's quite creative at using improvised weaponry and is a surprisingly competent tactician.

Thomas Jarington
Thomas Jarington
Thomas Jarington

Postby Thomas Jarington » July 26th, 2014, 12:52 pm

Probably my most developed character after Thom is my mage Vincent Moryarti . Originally created in a worgen pacer I participated in three years ago on another server, he filled the desire for a more sinister type of character. However, instead of the using the A.C. Doyle model, I used the Star Trek Next Generation idea from the episode where Data creates a holodeck character that can out think him.

In other words, a Victorian style romantic, highly intelligent with a love for the finer things in life, as well as a hatred for authority & nobility. A champion of the blue collar worker, as well as a manipulator & megalomaniac.

I chose engineering on a whim and, during journaling him for the pacer, the idea of being a toymaker struck me. Made sense: mechanical squirrels and such for children. The breakthrough idea came when a quest in Gilneas required us to enter a basement where canon were waiting (placed there by the rebellion).

Since nothing was ever mentioned how the canon got there and who supplied them, I decided that Vincent filled the void, thus launching the idea of a black marketer & arms dealer for the rebellion. Who employed the disenfranchised, paying them well to do his bidding and earning loyalty - always working in the back ground and under the front of a simple toymaker.

While I do not RP him often, his character is fixed and solid. He uses the two forms like he used the toymaking front. Alter personas in which to hide and throw off suspicion of wrong doing. He will talk engineering with anyone
Thomas Jarington & Co.

LEGION
LEGION
LEGION

Postby LEGION » July 26th, 2014, 1:50 pm

EDIT: In retrospect, I realized that I didn't really answer the question(s) posed in the OP. I build characters all the time. Usually what I choose to play vs. what I choose to develop a story about are not tied to each other. Sometimes I will create a story character, and then create its avatar in-game. But I have almost NEVER tried to plan a game character and its story at the same time.

When I made Xelas here on RH, I wanted something that was easy to level. As I played the character, I found myself asking a lot of 'why' questions to develop his story. Why is a supposedly immortal elf a crappy level 1? Why is he in the Eastern Kingdoms? (I couldn't stand the pink forest) etc. About the only character I set out to create as an RP toon was Diggsby, who was part of The Indelibles desire to create a group of 'pirate' toons and story line on a whim. The other folks lost interest in the storyline, and I did too until I resurrected Diggsby's story when I tied her into an old Sanctum Open RP started by Dashaun, as a means to get some action going. (The other one is Landreth, whom I created specifically to join the SCG) For the most part, my legion of alts are secondary characters that took on greater depth and interest as the stories unfolded in my head.

=============== (older post below)

I usually create something of a 'kingpin' character that ties other characters together. In this case, that kingpin on Ravenholdt is Xelas who started out life as an NE hunter.

I never quite felt like people who played elves really grasped that 'teenaged elves' would be wildly rare in this lore. (I see so many -- /boggle) Nor did many really seem to think about how a race that had been immortal up until very recently would respond to that change. I wanted to explore the xenophobia and control-freak nature that I saw in elves, who seemed to be largely perceived as goodie-goodies and benevolent in the extreme. I saw them as arrogant world-wreckers, who were good at covering up their mistakes, and lording their immortality over 'lesser' races whom they treated as misbehaving children at best. Through Xelas, I wanted to challenge history as having been highly edited over the millennia by a race that could 'back' their version with first-hand accounting -- which may or may not have been all that trustworthy in many cases. I wanted to explore how such a race might respond to those that didn't want to accept their 'guidance', or who might expose their very human-like flaws.

Xelas was on the fringe from the start, but he cemented his pariah status by choosing self-exile from his people. Unfortunately, he was never fully-accepted by his adopted peoples, either. He witnessed many of the events that saw the rise and fall of the Eastern Kingdoms, but was always sidelined as an outsider (if not treated with outright hostility by his high elf cousins) or mistaken as a funny 'half-breed' by the humans who wouldn't know any better. As a result, he often found himself being used as a means to gain influence or power by those who believed -- right or wrong -- that he had some special aspect or abilities that could advance their cause.

World-weary and struggling to find the good in those around him as well as himself, Xelas constantly has to fight against bitterness and disillusionment that would lead him down darker and darker paths if he allowed it. So much of the stories around him reflect that inner struggle.

Login  •  Register