Ravenholdt RP Sanctum Azeroth Press The Twisting Nether Gazette Wowpedia
Forum rules
This forum is used to post threads about anything not already covered by another forum.
Nolan
Nolan
Nolan

Choosing Your RP Character

Postby Nolan » July 24th, 2014, 10:48 pm

I was just wondering how you good folks choose or had chosen your RP characters. I am anticipating many different tales on how your characters came to be, in faction, race, class, and everything in between.

Lately I've been thinking about starting a new main and I certainly do like the idea behind my Orc Warlock but I'm kind of interested in a more goodly character such as a Draenei Paladin or Priest, or a Troll Shaman. There are so many choices that it's very difficult to settle on just one idea! I'll always be able to do alts but I really want to focus on a main who I'll put most of my playing time into.

I know the classes I'm not generally interested in, and the races that I'm not interested in either, so that narrows it down for me, but regardless of that, it's such a tough decision!

Ideas have come upon me such as a Worgen Fury Warrior who serves in the Alliance military as a ferocious front line vanguard soldier or a Draenei Discipline Priest who idolizes Prophet Valen and journeys to the corners of Azeroth and beyond as sort of a missionary healer. Or perhaps a Tauren Protection Warrior who's like a warrior-shaman, conjuring the power of the storms to augment his strength and who goes to battle for the honor of the Horde. Maybe a Troll Feral Druid who prowls the jungles and looses himself to the way of the beast, becoming a savage ally to the Horde.

The ideas are endless!
Noldain: Human Death Knight
Baltus Ravenholm: Worgen Priest
Nylaenan Oakwhisper: Night Elf Druid
Nipwick Mechaneedle: Gnome Rogue
Njolin Stonefeather: Dwarf Shaman

redeyedtreefr0g
redeyedtreefr0g
redeyedtreefr0g

Re: Choosing Your RP Character

Postby redeyedtreefr0g » July 24th, 2014, 11:29 pm

I vote Tauren, of course!
FroggyCows#1399
Tauren: Lomani, Kerala, Anura, Coqui, Chanchu, Pipapipa, Heget
Undead: Aziris

Cerestal
Cerestal
Cerestal

Postby Cerestal » July 24th, 2014, 11:45 pm

Heya,

I've only let class influence one character - this guy - and only because he's my pvp toon. I see what you're trying to do with your examples in creating a vision you want to launch from (trust me, a 7'1" night elf wading through a melee sealed it for me).

Most of these seem military, so I'll do a shameless advertisement of a thread I made very recently if you wish to roll Alliance. If you want to embed yourself a little harder into lore, think about your race/class and where you would be applied. If you want more advice on smaller things, let me know.

Oh, and you shouldn't have any trouble deciding faction. Your blood is either red or blue and anyone who says they're both is kidding themselves.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/13468076742

Naunet
Naunet
Global Moderator
Naunet

Postby Naunet » July 24th, 2014, 11:47 pm

I vote: All of them!

/altaholic

I do like the missionary draenei priest and savage prowly troll druid concepts, though.

For me, when I first learned of WoW through an old college roommate, she told me about how there were zombies in the game. I immediately wanted to be one; it was really that simple! I also wanted to smash things, in part to contrast the magic-ness that my roommates wanted to go with for their own characters, and in part because I've always been drawn to more aggressive/masculine tendencies. So... Forsaken warrior Naunet was born. xD Her story grew over the years, but she came from just a simple want to play an overly badass zombie warrior. My other main, Antimony, came about organically from OOC bank alt to actual RP character without me realizing it. I find it amusing how completely opposite she is to Naunet. I can't really recall how I came up with the character for my draenei paladin, other than I wanted to play a draenei paladin (love draenei, hadn't tried the paladin class yet), and over time I crafted her as a foil to my now-husband's character.
"Song dogs barking at the break of dawn, lightning pushes the edges of a thunder storm. And these streets, quiet as a sleeping army, send their battered dreams to heaven."

Nolan
Nolan
Nolan

Postby Nolan » July 25th, 2014, 12:25 am

Cerestal wrote:Heya,

I've only let class influence one character - this guy - and only because he's my pvp toon. I see what you're trying to do with your examples in creating a vision you want to launch from (trust me, a 7'1" night elf wading through a melee sealed it for me).

Most of these seem military, so I'll do a shameless advertisement of a thread I made very recently if you wish to roll Alliance. If you want to embed yourself a little harder into lore, think about your race/class and where you would be applied. If you want more advice on smaller things, let me know.

Oh, and you shouldn't have any trouble deciding faction. Your blood is either red or blue and anyone who says they're both is kidding themselves.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/13468076742

Well, if there were a place somewhere for a Worgen Fury Warrior (PVP+PVE), a Night Elf Restoration Druid (PVE), a Pandaren Brewmaster Monk (PVE), and a Draenei Holy DPS/Healing Paladin (PVE), then I would be more than happy to dive in! I'd especially like to think of my Worgen Fury Warrior, which would be my main, as a literal hound of war, and I'd like to try out this Fury PVP spec I came up with. :) I've been Horde for the longest time to be honest but my tastes have changed since I left WoW a year ago. The Horde is cool but there's something more epic about the Alliance since they're now clearly the underdogs of the World of Warcraft development process. :P

(On a side note; It certainly would be nice for an expansion to focus on the Alliance for a change. Maybe this disruption in Draenor affected the Alliance timeline as well and we get to see Arthas as a good guy, Uther turning bad, Illidan as a good guy, and other tasty treats!)
Noldain: Human Death Knight
Baltus Ravenholm: Worgen Priest
Nylaenan Oakwhisper: Night Elf Druid
Nipwick Mechaneedle: Gnome Rogue
Njolin Stonefeather: Dwarf Shaman

Thomas Jarington
Thomas Jarington
Thomas Jarington

Postby Thomas Jarington » July 25th, 2014, 1:06 am

Love the excitement, Nolzog. Reminds me of when I started RP'ing in this game. so cool to experience. Keep it up, it's contagious.

As to why I created Jarington? well, I wanted to give rogue a serious attempt and lurk in the shadows, picking off people one by one as I leveled. I started playing late Vanilla and fell in love with the non-stop rogue attacks in Hillsbrad, between Southshore and Tarren Mills.

However, Blizz decided to destroy Southshore and make the zone all Horde focus, thereby ruining my devious plans.

Instead, I signed on with some silly trading company on a whim, fell in with the wrong crowd and soon became the owner (Commodore) of said Company.

Go figure, huh? Funny world, Azeroth.

So, in a way, Blizzard's stupidity in destroying the gankster greatness that was Hillsbrad Foothills opened the RP door for my rascally, lovable rogue, Thomas Jarington.
Thomas Jarington & Co.

Cerestal
Cerestal
Cerestal

Postby Cerestal » July 25th, 2014, 2:29 am

Nolzog Demonbreaker wrote: I'd especially like to think of my Worgen Fury Warrior, which would be my main, as a literal hound of war.

Sounds a bit like Cerestal there - which a certain gnome had labeled as her 'junkyard dog' whenever they fought.

Honestly, from an OOC standpoint, you'll end up going arms because fury is too RNG-based to be competitive in pvp (imo). With that in mind, go for gold. :P

Lorewise, you'll be pretty tied up in the GLF as a worgen unless you caught the curse elsewhere (I've yet to see a 7th Legion soldier or Hillsbrad refugee turned worgen RPer)

Some points for the others:

Nelf resto druid: In conventional warfare, I've hardly ever seen a full-Alliance (none of that Malfurion flower-picking neutral crap) druid outside of resto, and they're seen with Sentinels where I have. As a mary-sue warning, don't be epic in all kinds of shapeshifting; pick a discipline (talon, claw, fang etc) and specialize in that.

Draenei Holy Pally: I'm not sure shockadins are still a thing - if they are, let us all know. :D Otherwise sure, holy paladins are a thing (I'd like to point out that the WC3 paladin hero was pretty much holy). Not the best with draenei lore, but you can find draenei paladins in the Hinterlands, Stonetalon Mountains near the bomb site, Lion's Landing, everywhere through Outland and a very confused human in ICC that also runs with the label.

Pandaren Brew monk: I can't help you much on that one - every pandamonk I've seen has been either neutral or a class trainer.

My advice: Go with the fury worgen because warriors. >:D

Rorrek Therrien
Rorrek Therrien
Rorrek Therrien

Postby Rorrek Therrien » July 25th, 2014, 3:46 am

The possibilities certainly are endless, to which I am sure you will conjure yet more fascinating concepts by the time this thread has seen its last post! All are neat ideas thus far!

I created Rorrek here due to my adoration for the classical "Knight" arch-type of the fantasy genre. As well, the themes therein meld well within WoW's version of Humanity. I wished to bring some more of that stoic essence to WoW, though without the usual Paladin flare. I also enjoy all things cryptic and archaic, to which any whom have RP'd with this character usually note!

As for how I have chosen my RP characters in general: I prefer to start at which race I am interested in and then see what themes are inherent to them in particular. Knowing backgrounds and strengths shouldn't remain as a strict guide to characters, but it helps you find your footing at first! I recommend doing your fair share of research for this as it may surprise you in what you find. As well, you can never verse yourself enough in lore! Yet, at the same time, do not be hesitant to draw from inspiration elsewhere. Then, from what I find do I build upon that concept and perhaps even play against certain elements in character creation. Such will certainly help in choosing a class as well once you have a general idea down. In the end, it is up to you where to invest! But, take your time and make certain that all aspects you decide to include help in creating a wholesome character you will enjoy Rping! There is always so very much to consider. Remember that your concept and foundation is only the beginning as it is immensely satisfying to look back and see how much a character has changed since creation.

Best of luck to you! (Though, let it be known that I wholly support a Warrior oriented character!)

LEGION
LEGION
LEGION

Postby LEGION » July 25th, 2014, 7:54 am

Cerestal wrote:As a mary-sue warning, don't be epic in all kinds of shapeshifting; pick a discipline (talon, claw, fang etc) and specialize in that.

Wait, what? Are you saying you have a problem with my Dworgen??! (Demon/Dwarf/Worgen) :evil:

Kiraleen
Kiraleen
Kiraleen

Postby Kiraleen » July 25th, 2014, 9:38 am

Naunet wrote:I vote: All of them!

This. Even the ones not on RP servers. :D

Sometimes I go with a concept from a character I've written or RP'd elsewhere. Sometimes commentary from other people serve as a springboard.

An example of the former, Kiraleen was my first blood elf; I rolled her a couple months into Burning Crusade on The Scryers. After seeing plenty of haughty, more-Machiavellian-than-thou blood elves, I decided she would be the My Little Pony of the Horde, taking the name and personality from a character I had in a Dragonriders of Pern fan club years ago.

For the latter, years ago on the Original Sanctum, a gnome player posted about how she couldn't get into guilds because people insisted that gnomes were not serious and couldn't be evil.

I decided to prove them wrong, and rolled Daphni, my gnome mage. Chauvinistic to her core, privately despising the other races while putting on a hail-fellow-well-met! face, she'd be happy to if all non-gnomes saw a boojum and quickly and quietly disappeared. Well..with a few notable exceptions she finds acceptable, including her "junkyard dog."

Login  •  Register