Ravenholdt RP Sanctum Azeroth Press The Twisting Nether Gazette Wowpedia
Forum rules
This forum is used to post threads about the other aspects of World of Warcraft. Everything not RP can be discussed here, from pet battles to Warlords of Draenor.
Nolan
Nolan
Nolan

So, Hunters...

Postby Nolan » August 18th, 2014, 11:32 pm

I've been wondering lately, what is Blizz doing with Hunters these days? The Beast Master spec has some fun abilities, but Marksmenship (the spec I'd like to play) and Survival are rather bare of "interesting" abilities.

I would have thought that Blizz would do something amazing with hunters like a possibly viable melee spec within the Survival tree, a special FPS sniper scope style aiming mechanic for "Aimed Shot" that gives 100% chance to crit on headshots ;-), maybe a special spell for Marksmanship like an "Entrench" ability where you hunker down in a kneeling position behind some sandbags boosting all your damage by 10% and reducing ranged+magic damage by 5%, something to give hunters some better, more useful raid utility like returning the awesome mark target of yesteryear or more cooldown aspect abilities like Aspect of the Fox that improve damage, reduce snares + roots, and reduces damage taken. So much that they could do with Hunters to make them way more interesting than just mobile arrow-carts. :)

Maybe also, since Hunters are often Engineers, the profession can allow us to create and drop a soul/light-well type node for grenades that can be thrown for a pre-set damage or utility pop. Or short of that, maybe a personal bandoleer of grenades. The same type of node technology can be put towards fight mechanics like a pre-fight node for one-use rocket boots for those "Oh shit!" moments and/or a rocket launcher with 3 shots with a static damage amount for melee who might be forced to stay at range mid-fight.

What do you guys think?
Last edited by Nolan on August 18th, 2014, 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noldain: Human Death Knight
Baltus Ravenholm: Worgen Priest
Nylaenan Oakwhisper: Night Elf Druid
Nipwick Mechaneedle: Gnome Rogue
Njolin Stonefeather: Dwarf Shaman

Lukar
Lukar
Global Moderator
Lukar

Re: So, Hunters...

Postby Lukar » August 18th, 2014, 11:36 pm

I think you described an Imperial Agent in TOR.
Purveyor of Alternate Moral Choices

Nolan
Nolan
Nolan

Postby Nolan » August 18th, 2014, 11:43 pm

Lukar wrote:I think you described an Imperial Agent in TOR.

That's actually one class I never really tried out. Then again, the game itself was wholly against ranged classes :P Any thoughts on the Hunter?
Noldain: Human Death Knight
Baltus Ravenholm: Worgen Priest
Nylaenan Oakwhisper: Night Elf Druid
Nipwick Mechaneedle: Gnome Rogue
Njolin Stonefeather: Dwarf Shaman

Cerestal
Cerestal
Cerestal

Postby Cerestal » August 22nd, 2014, 9:14 am

Sounds like you're describing your modern infantryman. Sadly, WoW isn't a game built on marksmanship and skill-based shots. It's 8% miss rate or GTFO, and even that's being phased out. One thing I do pine for is a hunter class that gets rid of the pet. They did it for warlocks, just don't ask me if it's competitive. I don't play warlocks, I just gank them.

Your entrench ability would be handy... if the max range was 200 yards instead of 40. And my take on it would be they hit the dirt, reducing movement by 90% but incrasing crit chance and reducing the chance to be hit by ranged atks/spells. But nothing like that will ever happen, simply because hunters already have too much utility as it is.

In the end, I do infantry work for a living and don't desire to see it in this game. I died a little inside when RPGG's were a thing in Wintergrasp, the flak cannons in Dominance Point came around and just about every time I see some kind of Gnomish or Goblin mech or plasma rifle. The closest thing I would love to see is perhaps flintlock riflemen (think redcoats) firing devastating volleys at a charging enemy.

Oh, and a regiment of dwarves advancing to contact to a bagpipe tune like the Highlander Regiments 200 years ago. That needs to be a thing.

Lukar
Lukar
Global Moderator
Lukar

Postby Lukar » August 22nd, 2014, 10:48 am

I think Cerestal kind of hit the nail on the head. Personally, I think hunters are in an excellent spot right now. The new expansion is bringing some good changes, particularly to Marksmen (even if they continue to not listen to the community screaming the easiest of fixes at them to make MM viable). I like the return of Sniper Training myself, giving you a reward for standing still instead of the jumping and shooting we saw this expansion.
Purveyor of Alternate Moral Choices

Thomas Jarington
Thomas Jarington
Thomas Jarington

Postby Thomas Jarington » August 22nd, 2014, 12:18 pm

MM has the Aimed Shot which requires you to shoot while standing still, unless you get the instant proc through steady shot. It hits pretty hard, but has a lengthy cast time (as it should). I liken it to a sniper shot from a braced position. To make this even more fun and realistic, you can utilize the Camo glyph, which allows you to move while completely stealthed - very slow, like creeping through the forest on a stalk.

So, your hunter dons his camo, utilizes his ability to take on a beast aspect (untrackable) slips into position and waits for his prey to come riding down the road. Take careful aim, then fire. If you talent into Blink Strike, you can have your pet hit right as the shot is fired, creating a double helping of pain.

Like Lukar said: the Hunter is in a good place.

If there was one thing I would want BACK, it would be Eyes of the Beast. Make it a glyph, as it's not much good for anything other than to have fun. Mages can turn things into monkeys, we should have our eyes back. I recall, in the days before flying, slipping under the bridge at Theramore and prowling as my cat into the tavern to attack the poor citizens just wanting a drink.

It only lasted a minute, but that was one fun minute, let me tell ya. A great Hunter ability now gone. /cry
Thomas Jarington & Co.

Login  •  Register