Ravenholdt RP Sanctum Azeroth Press The Twisting Nether Gazette Wowpedia
Forum rules
This forum is used to post threads about lore topics and questions. Well-written guides to Azeroth races will be stickied as reference material.
Tirien
Tirien
Tirien

Hoo-Monz: I'm a tad confused

Postby Tirien » May 5th, 2014, 2:51 pm

Sometimes I wonder how Humans came to be a thing. What caused the Vry'Kul to start birthing them? Was it wide-spread or an isolated event? How many were initially sent South to the Eastern Kingdoms? How did they set up a civilization? Where did they first learn the Light?

Basically: Humans, how do?
polartech.deviantart.com

Sergeant Stonzgrinda
Sergeant Stonzgrinda
Sergeant Stonzgrinda

Re: Hoo-Monz: I'm a tad confused

Postby Sergeant Stonzgrinda » May 5th, 2014, 3:41 pm

I blame bold male Gnomes and wanton Vyrkul women, but have have no photos.

Lukar
Lukar
Global Moderator
Lukar

Postby Lukar » May 6th, 2014, 1:58 pm

Tirien wrote:Sometimes I wonder how Humans came to be a thing. What caused the Vry'Kul to start birthing them? Was it wide-spread or an isolated event? How many were initially sent South to the Eastern Kingdoms? How did they set up a civilization? Where did they first learn the Light?

Basically: Humans, how do?

Go redo Howling Fjord and you will find your answer, young Padawan.

But basically, curse of flesh happened.

As to setting up a civilization: http://wowpedia.org/Human Basically Arathor conquers all the tribes, and presto civilization. After the Troll Wars end the various city-states break off giving you the seven kingdoms. First War happens and Stormwind is crushed. Survivors flee north to Lordaeron and unify as the Alliance and giving Lordaeron rule over the seven kingdoms of humanity. After the Third War everyone splinters back off.

As to the Light, no one knows. Rumor has it humans were preaching about the Light before the First War, but little else is known. http://wowpedia.org/Church_of_Light for more reading, though most of that is taken from the RPG which is non-canon, so use at your own risk.
Purveyor of Alternate Moral Choices

Tirien
Tirien
Tirien

Postby Tirien » May 6th, 2014, 5:32 pm

Hmm. I guess what I'm having trouble believing, before reading any of that, is the number and size of the Human population from the time when they first were dropped off on the Kingdoms to when Arathor unites them all. I feel like 'tribe' describes *maybe* 200-500 or so Humans per group. It's just that my assumption of their numbers does not match up with my perceptions of what they built and accomplished. Where that issue comes from might be that, since they're Human, I expect them to be similar to *real* Humans, though clearly it isn't the case as they descend from 15ft tall Vikings and we do not. It's like a clash of opposing expectations. Yes, the children of such colossal figures likely could build a fortified kingdom with only 200 or so able-bodied workers and might do it in a relatively short amount of time compared to *our* history which shows that great accomplishments like kingdom building takes significantly longer with a much higher amount of folks working on it, but I still can't help but perceive them with our limitations, despite this being a high fantasy setting.

Sorry for the rant, it's just has been grating on me since discovering my love for the Human race in WoW, lack of complete understanding and all of that. Also the bar for my suspension of disbelief is usually much...much lower...so the fact that this doesn't hit it also contributes to whatever I'm freaking out about (hah).

Also, I never quested in Northrend on Alliance. I'll need to do that at some point then. Thanks for the links!
polartech.deviantart.com

Lukar
Lukar
Global Moderator
Lukar

Postby Lukar » May 6th, 2014, 6:48 pm

Tirien wrote:in a relatively short amount of time compared to *our* history which shows that great accomplishments like kingdom building takes significantly longer with a much higher amount of folks working on it

The Troll Wars are about 2,800 years before the First War. That means between the time humans arrived in the Eastern Kingdoms to the Troll Wars, it was about 10,000 years at the very least, meaning they had plenty of time to build up their kingdoms.
Purveyor of Alternate Moral Choices

Tirien
Tirien
Tirien

Postby Tirien » May 6th, 2014, 7:03 pm

Oh, I had thought the arrival of the Humans was...recent (as in...maybe a millennia before WoW began). That makes much more sense to me knowing now that they've been around for a rather long time.
polartech.deviantart.com

Tirien
Tirien
Tirien

Postby Tirien » May 6th, 2014, 7:12 pm

See, now that I'm reading about Humans I'm all giddy and excited. I dare not begin re-reading about the Light and Paladins. I don't want to subject my roommates to me yelling "THAT'S SO FRIGGEN' COOL!" and the many variants thereof.
polartech.deviantart.com

Thomas Jarington
Thomas Jarington
Thomas Jarington

Postby Thomas Jarington » May 6th, 2014, 7:31 pm

Also, I never quested in Northrend on Alliance. I'll need to do that at some point then. Thanks for the links!

Oh yea, it's well worth it. There are some great story & quest lines if people are willing to slow down and pay attention to what is going on. Ravenholdt's the perfect realm for that, as you will rarely see any other player out doing the same as you.
Thomas Jarington & Co.

Grathier
Grathier
Grathier

Postby Grathier » May 8th, 2014, 5:20 am

Just think, if you invested this time and aptitude into studying *real* human lore, you could probably get a job as a museum curator or something.

Museums don't have night elves though. That's why I stopped trying.

Tirien
Tirien
Tirien

Postby Tirien » May 8th, 2014, 3:34 pm

Haaah. Funny story I actually did apply to curate one of the art museums over here. I'm not an art history major, so they probably skipped my resume for someone else :P
polartech.deviantart.com

Login  •  Register