Ravenholdt RP Sanctum Azeroth Press The Twisting Nether Gazette Wowpedia
Forum rules
This forum is used to post threads about various roleplaying topics. It is also the place for companion threads to ongoing RP and for RP event planning. Well-written guides pertinent to a good portion of the community will be stickied as reference material.
ExplosiveTrap
ExplosiveTrap
ExplosiveTrap

Returning Player, Should I come to Ravenholdt?

Postby ExplosiveTrap » June 30th, 2015, 10:18 am

Hi Everyone,

I am not sure where to post this, so my apologies if this is the wrong forum!

I started playing WoW about the same time BC came out. I played consistently from BC to Cata, and I grew up a bit with this game. Since Cata I played on and off up until, well I suppose, now.

It became hard to play WoW as much as I did because of school, work, and just plain pursuing other interests, but my life has calmed down quite a bit, and I've been wanting to return to WoW. Everytime I came back previously, I wasn't returning to a community, and I think it really hurt my retention. I love this game, but WoW is nothing without other players.

I have been on The Scryers for years, it's really the only ever server I could call a "home server". If you guys really are RPers, then perhaps you know about The Scryers RP history. It kinda sucks, it's really just a PvE server with a RP tag. It merged a while ago with a non-RP server, and it never really recovered. That said, I think I always managed to find the little pockets - and when I was playing WoW back in WotLK, those little RP communities really made WoW worth it. They brought my characters to life, and helped me immerse in WoW's lore.

I don't really have that anymore.

But I've heard of Ravenholdt, and I've heard it's a really good community with good RP roots. Is it true? I suppose I'm asking a couple of questions here.

1) Can I come join you all in Ravenholdt?

2) Is WoW worth returning to? It was my favorite game years ago, but since Cata it hasn't really "stuck".

Julilee
Julilee
Julilee

Re: Returning Player, Should I come to Ravenholdt?

Postby Julilee » June 30th, 2015, 10:23 am

You can absolutely come join us! The RP community on TN/RH (we had a merge between two RP-PVP servers) is small compared to BC's heyday, but it definitely makes up for it in quality and inclusivenes. Funnily enough, I played from BC through Cata myself before quitting for three years, but it's been amazing since I got back. There are good people, great guilds, and plenty of RP to be had on both factions. What are you thinking of playing?

Aerana
Aerana
Global Moderator
Aerana

Postby Aerana » June 30th, 2015, 12:15 pm

Welcome to the Sanctum!

You'll find that my post largely echoes Julilee's wonderful summary but I thought I'd enthusiastically assure you that you're more than welcome to join us. Ravenholdt has been my home for a number of years and the community here is what keeps me around. We're not the largest RP community, but we're certainly present, active, and friendly. Given the smaller size, you'll have an easier time finding RP if you're connected with some of the RP guilds or RPers on the server. Otherwise I think that it tends to be more difficult (but not impossible) to find pockets of RP. The Sanctum is a great place to meet some people and we have in-game channels too.

As for whether WoW is worth returning to, I'll let others answer that. I haven't had much time at all to play in WoD but I've heard good things about it. Most of my limited time online is spent RPing rather than leveling/raiding/PvPing these days. I've seen other familiar faces return lately and I think that they're all enjoying the expansion though!
"It is all a balance."
~Aerana Dantay, Empress of the Twilight Empire~

Sergeant Stonzgrinda
Sergeant Stonzgrinda
Sergeant Stonzgrinda

Postby Sergeant Stonzgrinda » June 30th, 2015, 10:26 pm

I think we are an example of quality over quantity. The state of the game is debated daily on the official forums, but whether it will improve or decline is anyone's guess. Seize the moment and join us. Let people know you are here.

Zanas
Zanas
Zanas

Postby Zanas » July 1st, 2015, 12:41 am

I would say this is a great server.

RH itself always had good RP. Ever since we merged with TN I would say the RP has become even better.

I've poked around other servers and frankly none of them ever felt quite like this one. We are small, but we have a great community.

As far as if WoW is worth returning to.... I would say yes. The main reason being the community is fun. The second reason being the game is still fun to play (for me at least).

My word of caution though is that if you haven't played since Cata be prepared to see some pretty significant changes to whatever class you used to play.

If you decide to take a look around here is some info that might help you.

To join the Alliance side RP channel type /join RP
To join the Horde side RP channel type /join Horde

Some guilds run their own private channels as well -- but you have to join the guild to get in on that.

These channels will allow you to talk to and connect with a good portion of the roleplayers on the server. The channels are all out of character and are mostly used for shenanigans or communication with the smaller subset community of the RP server. Lets be honest... the actual roleplayers on an RP server are a minority. You're still going to see Drizzzt running around spamming /fart on people RP'ing. Though this is normally only in the clustered zones (we are a VR with TN but are clustered with ED and I think another server). So the zones that aren't capital cities tend to have a fair amount of trolling. See Goldshire for an example. I imagine Crossroads is also terrible but in truth I haven't been there in years.

Short summary -- yes it is a great server. I moved here about 3 years ago and have regretted the fact that I didn't start here in classic. The game is still chugging along and I still get my $15 a month out of it if not more.

Join us.

You know you want to.

ExplosiveTrap
ExplosiveTrap
ExplosiveTrap

Postby ExplosiveTrap » July 3rd, 2015, 3:53 pm

Ha Zanas! I did laugh at your closing remark.

To everyone, thank you so much for your replies. I really do appreciate it.

I got Draenor and I was really surprised by the whole, "have a lvl 90!" thing going on now. I noticed you can buy and sell WoW tokens (PLEX :D) and the whole store thing was really revamped. It's kinda cool, but definitely reflects how much WoW has changed.

I am going to give WoW a fair shot, like Zanas said, I really do want to.

While I have all of your attention, I need some advice!

I decided to make a new character into my 90 instead of a old one (which I almost instantly regretted once I got to Draenor, as I realize it would have been much cooler if I had a character that's been around for years and "deserves" a stronghold, lol).

So here's the thing, I made a Monk because it seemed cool and, well, it was different and would provide a fresh experience for me. I was most interested in Brewmaster, and I felt like a Dwarf Brewmaster would be fun to play as.

Now, I am not really sure what to do, I don't feel so attached to him because I am very unfamiliar with Monk lore. Could someone help me out? Where do the monks come from? Is a Dwarf brewmaster plausible? Would they be like a Pandaren, or would a Dwarf brewmaster be completely unique and different? I suppose during all the Draenor opening stuff, where you slowly got your lvl 90 talents and abilities, I felt *really* out of place, like my character totally didn't belong on Draenor and his abilities didn't really fit into my understanding of WoW lore :[ Could someone share some of the lore I may have missed?

Julilee
Julilee
Julilee

Postby Julilee » July 3rd, 2015, 4:43 pm

Monks come from Pandaria, but of course races other than Pandaren hadn't been there until recently, so usually what people roleplay is that a character switched vocations after coming to Pandaria. More than that, I'll let the actual lore nerds answer!

Zanas
Zanas
Zanas

Postby Zanas » July 5th, 2015, 11:23 pm

Well all of the races that can be monks currently tend to make sense. (I don't get tauren monks but that's just me)

The pandaren are training these races and in the starting zones you would notice pandaren training classes of new monks. (since you boosted to 90 you missed that part :p )

So yes a dwarven brewmaster would make perfect sense. Most people playing monks tend to play as a normal member of that society -- they just chose to follow the monk path once actual monk trainers came around (or learned it in Pandaria).

Login  •  Register