Ravenholdt RP Sanctum Azeroth Press The Twisting Nether Gazette Wowpedia
Forum rules
This forum is used to post threads about various roleplaying topics. It is also the place for companion threads to ongoing RP and for RP event planning. Well-written guides pertinent to a good portion of the community will be stickied as reference material.
Cait
Cait
Cait

new to roleplay... kinda

Postby Cait » May 25th, 2015, 11:35 pm

Hello! I have been roleplaying IRL for... 3 years now, I think. Still not very good at it, but I am always looking to improve! That's why I decided to make a character on an RP realm. I did some research, and decided that Ravenholdt was the realm for me. Could someone point me in the direction of someone to bounce character ideas off of? I rolled up a Dwarf warlock and have a few ideas that i think would be fun to RP, but, like I said, I am new to online RP and don't really know WoW lore well enough to implement the ideas.

Any help appreciated!

Lukar
Lukar
Global Moderator
Lukar

Re: new to roleplay... kinda

Postby Lukar » May 26th, 2015, 2:45 pm

In-game channels are always a good place to ask questions, or simply posting here on the Sanctum will provide some feedback as well. If you are on Alliance, /RP is an excellent resource for new players to explore. There are also some guides that you can find stickied at the top of this forum that should provide some good pointers.
Purveyor of Alternate Moral Choices

Cait
Cait
Cait

Postby Cait » May 26th, 2015, 2:55 pm

Thanks! I'll check out /RP after looking at the guides.

Stepanos DelaCroix
Stepanos DelaCroix
Stepanos DelaCroix

Postby Stepanos DelaCroix » May 26th, 2015, 3:38 pm

Welcome to the realm, and the Sanctum Cait! I hope you're finding everything you're looking for so far. Also note that we are linked with the Twisting Nether, so you buy one realm get one free. What a bargain.

Not sure what the activity level is on the Alliance guilds these days. The Sanctum's been quiet, for the most part. Outside of a collaborative, cross-faction RP story that members of the Twisting Nether forged, there's not been much going on between various groups. At least not in the public eye of the Sanctum.

The Twilight Empire seems to be most active. And as I know several of the members, they would be a good first place to look. Good people and terrific RP'rs. They host numerous, realm-wide events. I think there is one coming up this Friday. A cookout, if I recall.

My guild, the Righteous Light, tends to avoid warlocks (or hang them, whichever works best at the time) so while we welcome you the player, we loathe your character; nothing personal, mind. Not a good fit, I'm afraid. Unless you're seeking redemption, then we can accommodate. LOL

Once again, welcome to the realm. Pull up a chair and stay awhile. We're small, cozy and would enjoy getting to know your characters.

Cait
Cait
Cait

Postby Cait » May 26th, 2015, 3:45 pm

Thanks! I'll check out the Twilight Empire!...And try to make myself as small as possible if I see any one looking at me with Righteous fury in their eyes... lol

Jenasis
Jenasis
Jenasis

Postby Jenasis » May 26th, 2015, 5:30 pm

Cait wrote: don't really know WoW lore well enough

I can help you with that. I have been role playing on wow for 6 or 7 years now.

My 1st bit of advice is Listen to the character creation narration!
That was the only lore I knew for the first 5 years.

Or, if your less lazy than I am you can look up your characters on
http://www.wowwiki.com

I just typed in "Dwarf"
A bunch of options popped up, including
"How to roleplay a dwarf"

Dwarves love alcohol, dwarves in bars or taverns without a mug with their hand might raise some eyebrows. Due to their love for alcohol, they don't get drunk that easily, so don't just pass out there after one mug! Just don't exaggerate on this either. Alcohol still has the same effect on a dwarf as on any other race. It doesn't make them stronger or anything like that so bringing a big jug of ale with you in a battle is probably unwise....

This goes on for a while and includes Class,Racism,Sexism,& Personality.

I wish I knew about wowwiki when I started role playing. I was far to prideful to ask for help though.
Welcome to WOW + welcome to Ravenholdt!
Hopefully you will enjoy your play time here as much as I have!

Cait
Cait
Cait

Postby Cait » May 26th, 2015, 5:37 pm

Hey, thanks! especially for the link.

Xaraphyne
Xaraphyne
Xaraphyne

Postby Xaraphyne » May 26th, 2015, 6:00 pm

Hello and welcome! As Step mentioned, Ravenholdt is merged with Twisting Nether, so we're all basically one big happy family now. This means you should also check out the Twisting Nether Gazette, TN's original roleplaying forum. A lot of people post on both.

I'm Horde mainly so I can't help you much with the lore, but eight years ago I'd never played a single one of the Warcraft games and I did just fine! (Actually, I still haven't paid any of the originals...) Just start with some basics and you can refine your character's backstory over time. What kind of character do you think your dwarf will be, personality wise? That'll help us point you to a good home for him or her.

Other Alliance guilds I'd recommend checking out in addition to Twilight Empire and The Righteous Light include Cup and Blade Caravan, a very creative group; Knights of Dusk, who are some pretty cool guys; and The Outriders, who have an interesting story (and are also cool of course).

I look forward to seeing you around and maybe roleplaying with you sometime!

18:41:20 [Lilliana-TwistingNether]: I don't know how to play the game, just rp.

Cait
Cait
Cait

Postby Cait » May 26th, 2015, 6:19 pm

Thanks! Basically, I was thinking my dwarf is a good person, maybe a bit shy at first, but wants to do good despite hearing Fel voices. warlock has always been my favorite class in WoW, so I decided to stick with what I know when RPing.

Lukar
Lukar
Global Moderator
Lukar

Postby Lukar » May 26th, 2015, 7:44 pm

Xaraphyne wrote:Other Alliance guilds... The Outriders, who have an interesting story (and are also cool of course).

Just for correctness, last I recall The Outriders are on the Horde.
Purveyor of Alternate Moral Choices

Login  •  Register