Ravenholdt RP Sanctum Azeroth Press The Twisting Nether Gazette Wowpedia
Forum rules
This forum is used to post threads about various roleplaying topics. It is also the place for companion threads to ongoing RP and for RP event planning. Well-written guides pertinent to a good portion of the community will be stickied as reference material.
Xaraphyne
Xaraphyne
Xaraphyne

Xara's Guide to Elephant (Log your RP!)

Postby Xaraphyne » March 10th, 2015, 2:03 am

Setup

1. Install Elephant: http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/elephant

2. Locate the new minimap icon and click it.

3. Observe the line of buttons on the upper right from the helmed dude down to the gear. These are all your channels. /s, /p, /raid, /y, all custom channels -- they are all separated.

4. First thing you'll want to do is click on the Say channel, then click on the speech bubble icon at the top right and uncheck the creature emotes and say. That stuff will spam your roleplay to hell!

5. Next, go back to the minimap icon and right click it (or just go to your addons options and find Elephant).

6. Set the buffer to somewhere around 2k. That's where I find I'm pretty safe to zone out and RP for an hour or two and not worry about losing the beginning of the log. And despite warnings, I've never had any memory issues, but I can't guarantee older computers might not.
***NOTE: THIS MUST BE INDIVIDUALLY SET ON EACH CHARACTER!***

7. On the Filters tab, you can set it to exclude certain channels (say the one the roleplay mod uses, or any custom channel you don't want logged).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saving Logs

1. To save logs, go back to Elephant and go to the channel you want to save (probably Say). Scroll to around the place where the particular roleplay session begins and click the Copy button.

2. It pops up a window with highlightable text. Protip: Ctrl+A to select all, Ctrl+C to copy. Pro pro tip: If those keys are activating your in-game shortcuts instead selecting/copying, click in the window and try again.
Note: You can change to BBcode format here (pretty colors for forum posts) and also turn on/off timestamps if you like before copying.

3. Alt-tab to your word processor of choice and paste. (I use WordPad.)

4. Return to Elephant and close the copy window. Reopen Elephant. From here, if you hit the "scroll one page down" arrow seven times from where you were, the next copy/paste will be very near to the end of the last section you pasted.

5. Make note of the first line of text at the top of the copy window before you alt-tab, and in the word processor document, highlight from that same line down, and then paste over. Repeat until you've captured the entire log.

6. Clean up the log if you're nice. I like to find/replace all instances of "-TwistingNether" and "-Ravenholdt" with "" (blank), and I tend to fix typo corrections to eliminate the OOC.

7. If people are using /y in RP too (such as if Lilly is there), you'll have to copy that channel out separately, then paste the lines in where they belong. Sadly, no way to merge channels.

8. Profit!

18:41:20 [Lilliana-TwistingNether]: I don't know how to play the game, just rp.

Tirien
Tirien
Tirien

Re: Xara's Guide to Elephant (Log your RP!)

Postby Tirien » March 10th, 2015, 7:00 pm

Elephant is amazing. Thank you for posting this!
polartech.deviantart.com

Julilee
Julilee
Julilee

Re: Xara's Guide to Elephant (Log your RP!)

Postby Julilee » July 2nd, 2015, 1:15 am

It's worth noting here that I've discovered that when you're under /say, you can actually include /yell now. Yaaaay!

Login  •  Register