Ravenholdt RP Sanctum Azeroth Press The Twisting Nether Gazette Wowpedia
Forum rules
This forum is used to post any stories following members of the Horde, collaborative or otherwise. Alliance characters can participate too. If you expect roughly equal posting from both sides, please post to the Cross-Faction forum instead. For stories taking place in the past, please post to the Backstories forum. For projects that might benefit from one, feel free to start an OOC companion thread in the Roleplaying forum.
Naunet
Naunet
Global Moderator
Naunet

Bloom & Detonate

Postby Naunet » May 10th, 2014, 12:41 am

((When last we left our heroes...))

Antimony could have walked the distance between the Crossroads and the viney, primal land of the Overgrowth in a day or two, but as Dhein yet lived and thus required regular rest, water, and food, their pace was significantly slowed. As they neared their destination, it became increasingly difficult for Antimony to suffer the breaks imposed by the living, but suffer them she did. At night while the blood elf slept, she would lay would her face turned south, thoughts rolling over like a beast in slumber.

On the fourth day, the dust and savanna of the Barrens began to give way to greener land, first in the grasses and the wildflowers that sprung up amidst them, and then in the soil itself, which darkened with a sudden wealth of nutrients and grew softer, almost pliable beneath their weary feet. Antimony's steps quickened as the land transitioned. The tugging in her chest drew her along as though she were caught on a fishing line, an unseeable and unknowable power manning the reel.

"I don't know what I'll do if we're too late," she bemoaned, the light in her eyes flashing. "It's taken so long as it is, and--does anything look different do you think? More? Or less..." She cast her gaze about them as they walked, pushing into foliage of increasing height and density, searching intently for any perceivable change in the environment from when they last saw it, anything that might suggest the flower had been removed or otherwise done away with.

Something told her it still remained, however, the same something that pushed her on until she was nearly stumbling over her own feet. She had barely enough extra focus to make sure Dhein still followed, though of course he would and did.
"Song dogs barking at the break of dawn, lightning pushes the edges of a thunder storm. And these streets, quiet as a sleeping army, send their battered dreams to heaven."

Twinflame
Twinflame
Twinflame

Re: Bloom & Detonate

Postby Twinflame » May 10th, 2014, 2:09 am

"I wouldn't be able to tell any visible change off the top of my head," Dhein answered, keeping up with Antimony and watching her carefully. As far as he could tell, she was just excited and concerned, which wasn't out of the normal for her and was actually a refreshing return to the competitive, inquisitive spirit with which she'd launched this entire expedition.

"Perhaps it... does not feel any different?" The elf squinted as he said this, as though changing the angle on which his viewed the aberrant jungle might change his sense of humidity, temperature and energy. "I doubt a druid would have affected a change that was not noticeable, otherwise, why would they have affected change at all? Then, I'm not a druid, but... Well, we'll see?"

Naunet
Naunet
Global Moderator
Naunet

Postby Naunet » May 16th, 2014, 1:09 am

"I suppose," Antimony muttered. Then she thought about all of the data she was missing out on because that blasted human had stolen her work, and so she huffed in annoyance, stomping her feet against the ground once or twice as she hurried along. She wasn't entirely certain where she was going - deep into the Overgrowth - but that did not bother her. As vine wrapped branches reached out above them and began to block out light, she looked up towards the wooden arms and broad leaves and paused for just a moment.

"Where is Aztal? Shouldn't he have retrieved those supplies by now? We'll need them quickly if we want to get our flower before the druid notices us."
"Song dogs barking at the break of dawn, lightning pushes the edges of a thunder storm. And these streets, quiet as a sleeping army, send their battered dreams to heaven."

Twinflame
Twinflame
Twinflame

Postby Twinflame » May 16th, 2014, 6:22 pm

"Perhaps I will try summoning him again," Dhein said, stumbling over a root and catching his feet. "Once we find the plant in question. It wouldn't do to go interrupting his work without ca-" he stumbled on a rock this time, huffing at pain in his ankle, and then one of his long ears caught a spider web full of empty chitin. The web broke free of its moorings and wrapped about his ear like a cold, clinging breath, making him shiver and pull his head suddenly to one side. As he danced away, he momentarily mistook the sensation for dark magic, and threw up a violent ward that flickered black and hot. It splashed across a number of treelimbs and some undergrowth like summoned poison, and the plants that it touched immediately turned dark and shriveled, hemorrhaging the moisture as a sappy bile onto the ground beneath them.

Finally realizing that it was just a spiderweb on his ear, Dhein corrected his stumbling and pulled himself into a still-straight backed stance. He closed his eyes and composed his features, was silent for a moment, and then demurely plucked the spiderweb from his ear. "This forest is intensely confounding," he said in measured pentameter. "If we don't find that flower soon, I'd almost rather us be found by the druids and turned away."

Naunet
Naunet
Global Moderator
Naunet

Postby Naunet » May 17th, 2014, 1:04 am

Antimony had spun at the oily heat of the unexpected spell, one arm lifted in a warding gesture. She stilled as she saw only Dhein, surrounded by the twisted remains of plants. The yellow glow in her eyes dimmed as she glanced around him, and for half a second, she thought she felt an echoing, slick chill in her bones in response to the expelled fel magic. The sensation was strange and sickening, but it was gone in an instant.

"... I think we are nearly there," she spoke after a moment and lowered her arm, "if only because I recall how long it took to get there the last time."

Twinflame
Twinflame
Twinflame

Postby Twinflame » May 24th, 2014, 8:59 pm

"That's assuming we're even going the correct way." The Blood Elf lingered with his eyes on the plants he'd killed, Fel eyes flickering green as the dark energy within him roiled its way back to equilibrium. It felt like he'd dipped his hands into cold grease, and he rubbed his fingers together as he frowned.

He blinked twice at Antimony, his mind catching up to the words he'd just said. "Which! I'm sure we are going the correct direction, if only because it is you leading. And if you suspect that we are almost there if only because of how long we have been walking, then I should suspect we are almost there as well!" Dhein started forward again. "And not a sign of druids yet, which is agreeable. I think." His very long eyebrows quirked dramatically. He felt suddenly that it shouldn't be agreeable, but was not sure that it was not.

Aztal, for his part, was more subtle about his reemergence into the Overgrowth than Dhein was. While his master threw Fel magics at the trees, the imp was reluctant to make so much as a single sound; last time a druid had found him here, he'd "died". Painfully. The imp couldn't bring himself to notify anyone that he was present, and when he overheard the undead woman asking after him, he became all the more squeamish.

Realizing his presence was necessary, but hoping that it counted whether or not he made it known, Aztal crept along in the shadowed undergrowth. Green Fel energy flicked from his hands and in his footsteps when he could not contain it, and as he shivered nervously, the vials of reagents he carried clinked together. He tried to hold them silently as he struggled along, but they were so difficultly shaped, and so numerous!

Naunet
Naunet
Global Moderator
Naunet

Postby Naunet » May 25th, 2014, 12:08 am

Watching Dhein walk for a moment, Antimony thought about pestering him regarding Aztal again. It was really unforgiveable that the imp was so late; surely it could not have taken him more than a day to gather what was required? A moment later, she realized her elven companion had moved significantly ahead and so hastened after.

"Were I not more informed, I would say that this entire forest is a sign of druids," she muttered and batted at a low hanging vine that swung wiry tendrils in her face as she passed. Something tugged in her chest, to the east, and without thinking, without even recognizing the sensation, she altered her route to follow it. "I suppose we should hope they have not fallen victim to whatever... horrible thing altered those men," she hesitated before adding, "and the orcs. Though perhaps that is why they attacked Aztal..."

Twinflame
Twinflame
Twinflame

Postby Twinflame » May 25th, 2014, 6:55 pm

The only clues Dhein had as to Antimony's altered route were auditory: the change in pitch of her voice, the sound of plants being moved by feet as she trudged in a new direction. At first these sounds confused him, causing him to stop and look about, but when he did notice them he hesitated only a moment before turning to follow. "A druid would not have to be compromised in order to assault an errant imp. I think it would actually be the default response under most circumstances. At any rate, you and I are certainly not compromised, so why should they be? We don't know what's causing it, so we cannot say."

As he lifted his leg over sweet-smelling undergrowth and stomped down to forge his path, he crushed a number of week-limbed ferns and one woody object that writhed and groaned and clattered like glass. Hopping away from it, Dhein spun just inside to see Aztal pulling his head out of the mud it had been squished into, making unpleasant sounds as he pulled globs of dirt from his nostrils and eyes.

"Aztal!" Dhein stompped again, making the imp flinch. "What are you doing sneaking around out here?"

"Aaaaaaah," the imp groaned. "You stepped on my head."

"I'm sure you deserved it. Now answer my question!"

The imp held up a few of the dirty, clattering vials it had dropped, "I brought the stuff! Look! Adam's fingers and powder and... uhm..." Aztal searched the vials and hefty one with a dark substance inside. "Chocolate! No... This is..." He held up one with blue liquid contents and green foam. "Chocolate! For the dead lady!"

Dhein's head canted, ears swinging. "Oh. Aren't you sweet?"

Naunet
Naunet
Global Moderator
Naunet

Postby Naunet » May 28th, 2014, 6:14 pm

"What did you say, Dhein?" Antimony didn't break her pace pushing through the thick vegetation, though she did turn her head somewhat, angling one ear behind her towards Dhein. She was forced to face forward, however, when she encountered a particularly stubborn patch of greenery, vines and shrubbery grown so thick as to be a wall. She pushed at it, reached both arms between the dense branches and tried to pry it apart.

When it resisted her efforts, the undead woman gave a huff and began to try and move around it.

Twinflame
Twinflame
Twinflame

Postby Twinflame » June 2nd, 2014, 9:34 pm

"Ah, Antimony! Just a mo-... Ah..." Dhein spun on Aztal and snapped. "Pick those up and come along!" The imp chittered, shivered, and tried to comply. His frantic efforts elicited the sound of cracking crystal, causing him to yelp and proceed with more caution.

The Elf was already off, trotting through the undergrowth to catch up with Antimony. He paused at the thick wall of vegetation that had vexed the Forsaken, just long enough to give it some consideration, before chasing after her. "Had we been able to return to Orgrimmar before coming out here, I think I would have been wise enough to bring some sort of saber or sickle or... something!" Every time he stepped on something larger than a pebble he had to stop and look down to see what it was, just waiting for the moment he stepped on something alive that was not Aztal. "We could use magic to get through! I have... fire spells. No, ice spells! Freeze and kick!"

Login  •  Register