Ravenholdt RP Sanctum Azeroth Press The Twisting Nether Gazette Wowpedia
Forum rules
This forum is used to post any stories following members of the Horde, collaborative or otherwise. Alliance characters can participate too. If you expect roughly equal posting from both sides, please post to the Cross-Faction forum instead. For stories taking place in the past, please post to the Backstories forum. For projects that might benefit from one, feel free to start an OOC companion thread in the Roleplaying forum.
Ninorra
Ninorra
Ninorra

Re: Fuel to the Fire

Postby Ninorra » January 30th, 2015, 10:28 am

She opened her mouth to answer, but suddenly found that no sound came out. In truth, she couldn't really say what Vicailde did, not specifically. He was a blood knight, he was a leader of some kind, and he'd been doing it for longer than she was alive.

"I... well, to be perfectly honest," she stammered, embarrassed. "He never really gave me specifics. Certainly he's told me about the usual things, leading expeditions into different worlds at Silvermoon's request, but.. all I know is that he's an officer, and that he is trusted. I never thought to inquire further, though I now wish I did. I suppose in the midst of our adventuring I took his position for granted. Silvermoon never exactly promoted me in any way, though I've fought for the Horde, but him? Well, he's been fighting since.. forever. He and I were both aligned with Sanctuary, to be sure, but when Garrosh became Warchief and all that ugliness came to the surface, we sort of retreated back to our home. I cared for our son, and he was with me most of the time. When Silvermoon summoned him, I thought it was more of the usual."

She felt very foolish then, all memory of her husband dwindling to the base facts; how they met, how they fell in love, how they stayed that way. She'd known him emotionally, and his personal life, though often hard for him to bring forward, was open to him, but his work? It was like another world entirely.

"I could tell you a thousand things about the kind of person he is," she explained, distraught. "About his family, his ideals, his faith, down to the smallest detail.. but for some reason, I was too foolish to ever really know what it was he did for Silvermoon. I really was a silly girl," she admitted, tears in her red eyes. "To never really consider what his position might mean."

Vicailde
Vicailde
Vicailde

Postby Vicailde » January 30th, 2015, 9:43 pm

Cal instinctively placed a hand on her arm in comfort. "While I may be a little green, I'm sure I can dig up, at the very least, a lead. If he truly did lead men then there must be someone in Silvermoon who knows what he did. We can move from there after that.

He let his arm fall from his arm as he stood up. He made his way to the cupboard before hovering a hand over the small boxes she had shown him before and opening one. He removed a rough looking teapot from the cupboard and dislodged the waterskin from his hip. He filled the pot as he grabbed a few pinches of tea, placing them in the pot. He retreived some rusty looking metal rods before he began to carefully construct them over the fire, finishing by hanging the tea pot over the flames.

"We'll get a fresh start tomorrow." He took his seat by the fire and spoke as he warmed his hands once more. "I heard rumor, when I was assigned this post, that you used to be a bard... If it's not a bother I'd love to hear a song."

Ninorra
Ninorra
Ninorra

Postby Ninorra » January 30th, 2015, 9:56 pm

She looked at the elf curiously, taking a moment to study him. There was something familiar in his face, which had been sure was just her imagination, but now she began to question.

"I did," she admitted, sitting down on one of the furs. "That's how I met my husband. A very long time ago, I was quite poor and singing for coins. He heard me, and well.. he wasn't quite the gentleman that he is now, so we didn't get along so well at first.. but that's how he found me. I don't think he realized that that was the key behind my eyes."

She smiled at him, acknowledging his own similar feature.

"You're like me, yes? Some connection to the fel? I was born this way. My voice was more than just a talent, it was how I communicated with them. I'll show you."

Ninorra cleared her throat and focused on a neutral point in the room, the brazier. As she sang, the fire shifted, changing shape.

A black swan
Is born that night
The misty pond
Has a new king

So what can we do
With our lives
When it all begins

It's hard and
It's cruel
Will grace die in pain?
Will light ever rise again?

I'm trapped in darkness
Still I reach out for the stars
I'm moving in silence
I leave it all far behind

The fire shifted into strange shapes; at one point, an imp might be seen, at another, the figure of a man. With each breath between verses, the fire died down before rising, and changing shape.

Let us march on
To the fields of sacrifice
I wonder why
I'll carry on
Will I betray myself
To rise

In the silence
It's time to explain

Search for truth in lies
Useful lies
Needless love's damned

What can we do with our lives
When it all begins

The flames died down. She shifted in her seat and looked toward the young elf again.

"What do you think?"

((Lyrics from The Dark Elf))

Vicailde
Vicailde
Vicailde

Postby Vicailde » January 30th, 2015, 10:13 pm

Cal closed his eyes as he listened to her song. His long ears twitched as the shadows flickered to life. Their shapes seemed to outstretch, almost attracted to him. The corners of his mouth twitched and struggled to remain in their neutral position. His eyes flickered beneath their heavy lids and his head bobbed slightly to the side. As he song finished, his eyes continued to dart beneath his eyes.

The pot whistled sharply, breaking the crackling quiet and his eyes opened, the crimson light of his eyes flashing for a moment. He cleared his throat as he sat up into a more proper position. He spoke a little hoarsely at first as he used a heavy cloth to retrieve the pot and pour them both a cup of the steaming tea.

"Thank you.. I had not heard someone sing in a very long time." He paused as he carefully place the pot between them, with the cloth laying to the side, seemingly avoiding meeting her gaze. "Perhaps a bit of one.. though I do not sing and I doubt my connection is any more than the next elf." He gave a small smirk, his trailing voice suggesting his thoughts were elsewhere.

Ninorra
Ninorra
Ninorra

Postby Ninorra » January 30th, 2015, 10:22 pm

"You're a liar," she purred, leaning forward. "I know a fel connection when I see it. It's not all that difficult to spot, especially in our kind. The eyes are a dead giveaway.."

Reaching for her tea cup, she didn't bother to protect her hands. The scalding ceramic did nothing to harm her, nor did the steaming liquid as she poured it into her mouth.

"Tell me, dear.. why hide it from me? There's no need to be shy. I may be a 'lady' by marriage, but I know a thing or two about fel magic. There's a connection in you, and whether it's by your choice or not, it's quite potent. I could feel it the moment you came into this gods-forsaken garrison."

She smiled mischievously.

"Don't worry, you can trust me. What happened?"

Vicailde
Vicailde
Vicailde

Postby Vicailde » January 30th, 2015, 11:01 pm

Cal smiled for a moment and kept his eyes on his cup. He grabbed it carefully and took a small sip. He lowered his cup and raised his eyes back to meet hers, the smile fading.

"You are a lucky minority..." He took another drink, his eyes drifting to his mug. "I have seen what this... 'connection' can do to someone... without something to hold onto it sweeps you into a dark, terrible place."

He raised his eyes to hers again. "For most, it's best that we tuck it away and ignore it."

Ninorra
Ninorra
Ninorra

Postby Ninorra » January 30th, 2015, 11:23 pm

Ninorra laughed over her cup and shook her head.

"Oh dear, you're in the wrong place for tucking away darkness and ignoring it. What do you think I do with myself out here? I'm clearly not a warrior."

The warlock stood up and stretched, looking carefully at Callus, as if there were something else about him she couldn't quite put her finger on.

"House Ysmir, was it? You know, I don't think I've heard of your family.. then again, I'm not the most social of people, lately. This place does this to people.." She muttered. "Anyway, we should both get some rest. This place is hell, but I've had my own private quarters built, thank goodness! If you like, you can stay here. There's always the barracks, but.." She shrugged. "Whatever you prefer."

Vicailde
Vicailde
Vicailde

Postby Vicailde » January 31st, 2015, 1:02 am

Callus stood as she stood and gave her a small nod. "Yes.. I'll stay here for now.. perhaps I'll see if these peons are able to drive nails into wood and built me some small private quarters." He bowed his head slightly as she left.

~~~

That night Callus sat slumped into his chair staring into the fire. He raised a hand slowly towards the fire and his lips parted, a quiet musical rumbling hum emanated from his lips. His crimson eye grew a brilliant red, bathing the entire room in the tint. As he began to sing the shadows from the fire flickered about in monstrous shapes.

Hunted by demonic eyes, all I see is burning skies
Vision seems so real, trying to break free
This place is spellbound
The shadow land below the ground
Voices cut like steel
Lost without a key

The fire began to dim, the shadows grew darker. Besides Callus one began to take shape, a feminine form. Two large, long horns that curled from her forehead. Large spikes grew from her hips. The other shadows shook and danced violently about her but she remain stationary. Callus outstretched a hand towards the shadow but it danced from his grasp. The other shadows gave a final flicker before fading to nothing, leaving Callus and the feminine shadow alone.

Alone in the dark for ages
Nocturnal slave from the cradle to the grave
Alone in the dark for ages
Eternal slave where the lost soul creeps
Alone in the dark

His song grew to a close and the dying light faded to darkness.

Login  •  Register