Ravenholdt RP Sanctum Azeroth Press The Twisting Nether Gazette Wowpedia
Forum rules
This forum is used to post any stories following members of the Horde, collaborative or otherwise. Alliance characters can participate too. If you expect roughly equal posting from both sides, please post to the Cross-Faction forum instead. For stories taking place in the past, please post to the Backstories forum. For projects that might benefit from one, feel free to start an OOC companion thread in the Roleplaying forum.
Filora
Filora
Filora

An Interview [[ Open Writing Exercise ]]

Postby Filora » December 2nd, 2014, 4:44 pm

[[ This was an exercise in perspectives per some things discussed in the thread Looking for Tips. Notes at the end. Feel free to contribute your own "interviews." :) ]]

Two former Sanctuary members had gone to what was arguably one of the most unlikely of places after Sanctuary's fall. Sanctuary's new leader had already sought out one, and learned that Malethia had turned her back on Sanctuary, on mercy itself, after being abandoned to a terrible fate. And the other... was Filora. Who very much doubted this Julilee was going to be able to understand her reasons so well.

Not that she was really going to try explain them.

Filora eyed the diminutive elf over the rim of the mug Julilee had politely bought for her as she took a drink. While Filora wasn't especially tall either, she probably weighed as much without armor as this elf did with. And not just because Filora was full-figured, or entirely due to hyperbole. The other elf was small, and her armor so closely fitted that you had to look twice to realize it was plate. And a third time to realize that the lack of an aura of the Light meant that this Sin'dorei was the uncommon sight of a blood elf warrior.

"Vilmah was a warrior too," Filora observed when it became apparent Julilee was waiting for her to speak.

"She still is," Julilee said. She sat with evidence of an uncommon patience in the face of Filora's cavalier attitude. Her armor-backed hands remained curved around her mug as she studied Filora with serious eyes. Filora wondered if the warrior had ever told a joke in her life.

"She's still around? Garrosh didn't hang her?" Filora said.

"Not for lack of trying," Julilee said.

"Good for her," Filora said after a moment, and raised her mug for another drink.

"So, you were a longtime member of Sanctuary," Julilee said. "Vilmah initiated you into the ranks herself not long after the Sin'dorei came to the Horde."

"She remembered that?" Filora said in surprise. "I'm surprised, considering I basically didn't show up for anything else."

Juli tilted her head as she continued regarding Filora with her serious gaze. Her shoulder-length dark hair swung against her face when she did that. She would be cute, Filora thought, if she didn't look so damn intense all the time. Then again, maybe some people would like that.

"Why not?" Julilee asked.

Filora shrugged. "Always something that came up," she said vaguely.

"What else were you doing?" Julilee asked.

"Oh, various things. I ran with a pirate crew for awhile."

"Pirating? Didn't that conflict with Sanctuary's ideals?"

Filora grinned. "Not this pirate," she said. "She was a better ally to Sanctuary than I ever was. But she was kind of flaky, so maybe it's a toss-up. I ended up running this organization she founded, Treasure Seekers it was called, after she lost interest. Now that took up a lot of my time."

"I imagine so," Juli said, sipping her drink. She drank slowly, but steadily. If Filora didn't have pure size on her, she'd have been hesitant to try and outdrink her. "But you believed in Sanctuary, still?" Juli asked.

"You ask a lot of questions," Filora observed. "I didn't realize this was an interview."

Juli seemed to note the change of subject. She wouldn't be an easy one to distract. "I just want to understand," she said slowly, "why you turned away from everything Sanctuary believed in."

"Hey now, the Grim believe in peace too." Filora grinned.

Juli didn't look the least bit amused. "So they claim, but they would gleefully destroy it all the while claiming they sought it."

"Ooh, fighting words," Filora said. "You should say that to Commander Awatu's face."

Juli looked at her. "I did, more or less."

"Oh," Filora said, then, "Wish I could've seen his face."

"Were you this capricious in Sanctuary?" Juli inquired. She was trying to appear unbothered by Filora's continued irreverence, but Filora could tell she was growing irritated. Good; that patience had been kind of boring.

"Now you're just trying to provoke me," Filora replied, amused. She wagged a reprimanding finger. "That's unbecoming of a leader. Especially of the noble Sanctuary."

Juli's eyes narrowed slightly. "I'll take that as a yes," she said, her temper firmly in check to Filora's disappointment.

Filora leaned her chair back and shrugged. "I'm whatever I want to be," she said. "For a time that was someone who wore the purple and gold. Now it's the red and black."

"For no particular reason," Juli said. Her flat statements were no longer questions.

"Why do you want to know?" Filora asked discerningly. "Does it worry you? Two Sanctuary members become Grim?"

"I'm worried that it doesn't worry you," Juli said. "What do you even care about?"

Filora frowned at her. "Well, that's rude."

Juli stood up. "I think we're done here. Thank you for your time."

Filora gave her an insouciant wave. "Okay. Thanks for the drink. I'm sure I'll see you around again. I hear you keep working with the Grim despite your obvious disdain."

Juli looked at her for a long moment. Filora stared back, curious to see what the warrior's reaction would be. But Juli just shook her head slightly and left.

"Whatever," Filora said, and finished her drink.
Last edited by Filora on December 2nd, 2014, 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Julilee
Julilee
Julilee

Re: An Interview

Postby Julilee » December 2nd, 2014, 4:55 pm

Juli hadn't known what to make of the fact that two former Sanctuary members had ended up in the Grim, a guild whose mandate ran completely counter to everything Sanctuary stood for. It seemed to her that anyone who could believe the ends justified the means could never have believed in true justice or mercy to begin with. After she'd spoken to Malethia, and learned that she’d been betrayed, it made more sense. But the other...

Filora eyed her over the rim of the mug Juli had offered to buy as she took a drink. A paladin, judging by her faintly glowing armor, Filora had long, red-brown hair, green eyes behind the fel haze, and acted like she didn’t care one way or another why Juli had asked to meet her at the Wyvern’s Tail. But she knew who Juli was, so surely she had an inkling. In the face of the other elf’s evaluation, Juli chose silence.

“Vilmah was a warrior too,” Filora commented astutely when the silence had gone on for a few moments.

“She still is,” Juli replied. She’d barely touched her own drink yet, but it wasn’t because she didn’t care for alcohol. It was hard to relax around someone of the Grim. At least Lilliana wasn’t here... yet. Juli wouldn’t put it past her to show up.

“She’s still around? Garrosh didn’t hang her?”

Filora didn’t sound like she’d have been bothered if he had. “Not for lack of trying,” Juli said, reserving judgment for now. She didn’t know what Filora’s situation had been in those times. Malethia had certainly said crueler things.

Filora was quiet for another moment, then said, “Good for her,” and diffidently took another swig of her drink.

Juli reflected that at least Malethia had been invested in talking, even if only due to pure bitterness. “So, you were a longtime member of Sanctuary,” she said, trying to progress the conversation. “Vilmah initiated you into the ranks herself not long after the Sin’dorei came to the Horde.”

“She remembered that?” Filora asked. “I’m surprised, considering I basically didn’t show up for anything else.”

Vilmah hadn’t mentioned it, actually; Juli had found the notation on the old roster, but she wasn’t going to belabor the details. Instead, she studied Filora, trying to guess if her indifference really ran as deep as it seemed. She didn’t sound remorseful at all. “Why not?” Juli asked her.

Filora shrugged. “Always something that came up,” she said vaguely. Her eyes moved away from Juli.

“What else were you doing?” Juli inquired, not trying to sound accusing.

“Oh, various things,” Filora said. “I ran with a pirate crew for awhile.”

“Pirating? Didn’t that conflict with Sanctuary’s ideals?” While she didn’t believe the previous leaders of Sanctuary had required their members to swear oaths per se, there had still been expectations for their behavior, and Juli couldn’t imagine piracy fitting into that.

Filora grinned like she found the question funny. “Not this one,” she said. “She was a better ally to Sanctuary than I ever was. But she was kind of flaky, so maybe it's a toss-up. I ended up running this organization she founded, Treasure Seekers it was called, after she lost interest. Now that took up a lot of my time.”

“I imagine so,” Juli said. Running Sanctuary certainly took up most of her schedule. She sipped her drink as she tried to understand why Filora would have continued under Sanctuary’s banner if she had so little time to spend supporting it, and, failing, decided to just ask her outright. “But you believed in Sanctuary, still?”

“You ask a lot of questions,” Filora said instead of answering. She eyed Juli, almost wary. “I didn’t realize this was an interview.”

“I just want to understand,” Juli said, carefully, “why you turned away from everything Sanctuary believed in.”

“Hey now, the Grim believe in peace too.” Filora grinned again, and it wasn’t an invitation to share the joke.

Juli didn’t pause to measure her response. “So they claim, but they would gleefully destroy it all the while claiming they sought it.”

“Ooh, fighting words,” Filora said. “You should say that to Commander Awatu’s face.”

This could get juvenile very quickly. Juli restrained herself. It had actually been in Awatu’s presence that she’d last said something impulsive and regretted it, and that was a good reminder at this moment. “I did, more or less,” she said, unable to keep her tone from being a bit droll.

“Oh. Wish I could’ve seen his face.” Filora smirked.

There was something wrong with this paladin. Juli was fairly certain she was deliberately trying to antagonize her at this point. Why was she taking this so lightly? Juli couldn’t understand it. “Were you this capricious in Sanctuary?” Juli asked, testing her back.

“Now you’re just trying to provoke me,” Filora replied. She actually wagged a reprimanding finger at her. “That’s unbecoming of a leader. Especially of the noble Sanctuary.”

Yes; Filora was definitely trying to antagonize her. “I’ll take that as a yes,” Juli said evenly.

Filora leaned her chair back, shrugging as she conceded the moment. “I’m whatever I want to be,” she said. “For a time that was someone who wore the purple and gold. Now it’s the red and black.”

“For no particular reason,” Juli said. Some flatness had crept into her voice.

Filora looked at her. “Why do you want to know? Does it worry you? Two Sanctuary members become Grim?”

If Filora thought Juli would be that easily flustered, she was mistaken. Holding the paladin’s gaze, she issued her own even challenge. “I’m worried that it doesn't worry you. What do you even care about?”

Filora frowned. “Well, that’s rude.”

They clearly weren’t going to get any further. Whatever Juli had hoped to learn here, Filora wasn’t going to tell her anything. Juli stood from her seat. “I think we’re done here,” she said. “Thank you for your time.”

Filora gave her a little wave. “Okay. Thanks for the drink. I’m sure I’ll see you around again. I hear you keep working with the Grim despite your obvious disdain.”

Juli paused. It was true; her missions had aligned with the Grim’s a few times recently, and they’d worked together. While it had been necessary, she didn’t want to try justifying her point of view to this paladin. It would be a pointless endeavor. So she just shook her head and walked out.

Juli wanted to learn what she could of Sanctuary’s past failures, so they would not be repeated. But whatever had happened with Filora didn’t seem to have anything to do with Sanctuary. While she might never understand, she wouldn’t lose sleep over it.

– – – – – – – – – –

[[ Here are my notes on the differences I chose to make between the two versions, as well as how writing from either character's perspective at all instead of an omniscient one affected what was written.

The introduction:
Juli’s delves into her concerns and motivations. It gives us an understanding right off the bat of the conflict she’s facing in this scene. Meanwhile, Filora’s intro almost isn’t even written from her perspective for the first few lines. It’s deliberate, to give you a little distance from the character, so you understand she’s something to be looked at from a distance, and not really empathized with. Then her perspective is driven home as we do start getting into her opinions of the situation we’re starting off in.

Their descriptions of each other:
Filora is very aware that she’s chubby. Juli doesn’t even deem it worth mentioning. Juli doesn’t judge by appearances at all; Filora obviously does. Also, it’s strongly hinted Filora is evaluating Juli’s attractiveness for possible reasons, while Juli does not do the same. In other words: Filora is dropping hints she’s bisexual.

Their descriptions of themselves:
They don’t always realize the signals they’re giving off. Juli tilts her head when she’s thoughtful; Filora notices, Juli doesn’t. Filora looks away from Juli when she’s uncomfortable; Juli notices, Filora doesn’t. It wouldn’t make sense for the characters to describe the emotions they’re telegraphing when they’re not aware they’re doing so.

How they read each other:
Filora’s understanding of Juli is shallow. She can tell when she’s getting under Juli’s skin, but that’s about it. Juli sheds light on how she’s reacting to Filora and why. She also grasps Filora pretty well. While she’s a little uncertain of Filora at first, she realizes by the end that she’s not going to get anywhere – though the question remains if Filora’s indifference is an act or not. Of course, reading Filora’s perspective, she certainly gives no indication it’s not, at least not in this scene.

Internal monologue:
Both of them narrate things that cross their mind that obviously the other does not know about – Juli randomly thinking of Lilliana, or making references to past occurrences; Filora wondering if Juli’s ever told a joke. It’s a bit of flavor for both of them. Additionally, in Juli’s telling we become aware that Filora misunderstood something, but Juli didn’t correct her, which we had no idea of from Filora’s perspective. Overall, Juli is a lot more willing to explain things to the reader while Filora expects them to keep up or get lost, so Juli’s perspective ends up providing a lot more information and context while Filora’s is punchier. ]]

LEGION
LEGION
LEGION

Postby LEGION » December 2nd, 2014, 9:16 pm

Julilee wrote:Filora is very aware that she’s chubby. Juli doesn’t even deem it worth mentioning. Juli doesn’t judge by appearances at all; Filora obviously does. Also, it’s strongly hinted Filora is evaluating Juli’s attractiveness for possible reasons, while Juli does not do the same. In other words: Filora is dropping hints she’s bisexual.

It's interesting that you say this, because I totally read Filora's evaluation of Juli's looks as 'girly-girl', since 'typical' women, particularly in American culture, are constantly evaluating each other and themselves in terms of appearance. (Some of the recent studies are showing that while heterosexual women dress and make themselves up in hopes of being attractive to men, they are MORE concerned about meeting the expectations of/showing up other women.)

Julilee
Julilee
Julilee

Postby Julilee » December 2nd, 2014, 10:18 pm

LEGION wrote:It's interesting that you say this, because I totally read Filora's evaluation of Juli's looks as 'girly-girl', since 'typical' women, particularly in American culture, are constantly evaluating each other and themselves in terms of appearance. (Some of the recent studies are showing that while heterosexual women dress and make themselves up in hopes of being attractive to men, they are MORE concerned about meeting the expectations of/showing up other women.)

[[ Definitely; Filora doesn't say anything that necessarily proves she's bisexual. But it can start sounding like she swings that way when she is specifically making remarks about what she finds attractive in comparison to how Juli appears. A way to start clueing in the reader by means of her perspective. ]]

Login  •  Register